Pepper Mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from broitblat

broitblat

Here are a couple of maple pepper mills I finished recently. The short one is 6" and the taller is 8"

1_Double_Maple.jpg

I fear I may be at risk for getting banned since I've been posting more "other things" lately than pens :confused:

-Barry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
They are beautiful, Barry.

Aren't you afraid grease will get into your bead lines and never come out?? OR your customer will try nice hot water bath???

That's always been my fear.

broitblat

They are beautiful, Barry.

Aren't you afraid grease will get into your bead lines and never come out?? OR your customer will try nice hot water bath???

That's always been my fear.

Ed,

You're probably right -- I never thought about it. It may not stop me from turning more with beads, but I'll be careful about selling them or who I give one to :wink:

-Barry

jkeithrussell

They look good to me. I've been making a lot of wood chips and sawdust trying to produce a peppermill, but haven't gotten it right yet. I struggle with getting the overall length correct. Yours look nice.

broitblat

Reminds me of a couple of chess pieces.:wink:

Bingo -- both of these were, in fact, modeled after a chess set I have. these were from the King (although the finished piece is not as king-like as I thought it would be). I still plan to do a queen and a bishop, at least.

-Barry

broitblat

They look good to me. I've been making a lot of wood chips and sawdust trying to produce a peppermill, but haven't gotten it right yet. I struggle with getting the overall length correct. Yours look nice.

I often have to tweak the length during the process. The shorter piece started out as an 8" pepper mill, but I didn't like the visual balance and turned it into a 6" mill. That's why I did a second one on the same general theme. The second time around, I re-drilled (depth of) the larger hole in the base of the taller piece (by about 1/16"), before completing, to adjust for the proper length of the shaft.

There have been other times I've trimmed the base or the top to get to the length I wanted.

-Barry

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When you change the length, it is easiest (IMO) to finish the wood completely, then screw the knob on the shaft and mark the bottom of the shaft. Cut it, then peen the end (hit with hammer until its flattened). Now do final assembly.

MUCH easier than trying to make the wood just the right length for your mech.

FWIW

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Ah... that's good to know! I've got two sets sitting on the shelf that are
off by 'just a hair' and I never quite got back to them..

broitblat

Did you need to change the grinder when you changed the length?

I have never resized the shaft, I've always adjusted the wood. It's never been much of a problem for me, but I'll have to try Ed's approach. In my example when I converted from an 8" to a 6", I just swapped out the shaft.

-Barry

Top Bottom