Pens for Arthritic Folks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hayseedboy

Hey Guys,

Any of you ever make larger pens for those folks suffering from Arthritis? I know a gent I would love to make one for that has his fingers so distorted he can't hold a regular pen. I've been thinking about one of the shop type pencils or trying to drill out a larger blank for some other kit...

Any idears?

Thanks!
lr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There was someone working on pens for the arthritic writer several years ago. The result of their trials was a pen with a wide tab that could be grasped without having to wrap their fingers around it. That made it a rectangular shape like an enlarged carpenters pencil rather than round.

jkoehler

I have made a couple. i used the cigar pen and made a band at the bottom that would stop their fingers from slipping off the end of the pen. the feedback that i received was that this worked great. they could hold the penand not have to apply a lot of pressure to hold it.

GBusardo

I sold a polaris pen (PSI) to a customer who was going to give the pen to her dad. It seemed to be a perfect fit for him. That pen is also shorter and lighter than a cigar. Maybe that will work for you. That pen is also sold by CSUSA, I think they named it patriot pen.
Good luck

doddman70

Originally posted by RussFairfield

There are photos of a the pen I referred to in an earlier message in Bob Swartzengruber's gallery on the PMG site. Here is a link.

http://www.penmakersguild.com/browse.php?gallery=swartzenb&page=0

Get ahold of BOB Swartzengruber he is a great guy and i'm sure will help you out. i have talked to him several times on the phone and he has been a great deal of help to me. if you PM me i will give you his email i don't think he would mind. or you can email him through the member list. i know he changed his email address awhile back and don't know if he changed his address here at IAP

Shane

txbob

Hi Larry,

Guess I'm a bit late getting here. Sorry for that. Others have given you links to the kind of pens I do for folks with special needs. I use a slimline kit, and wrap the bottom barrel with modeling clay. Help the person place their fingers in a comfortable position holding the pen, then go home and carve a lower barrel from a soft wood, to match the clay. I usually use mahogany or basswood. It's really not hard, and the smile you get in return makes it well worth the work.

Email me your phone number if you want to chat. I'll call you back.

Shane, I updated my profile when I got the new email address, so it will work ok.

txbob

jwoodwright

What a great idea for those with bad arthritis. I have some and it's painful. My father could have used Bob's block idea. Very nice Bob and I'm sure very much appreciated.

Hayseedboy

Hey Guys,

WOW! What a quick response!!! Emailed Bob and gonna chat with him about this... Thanks again for all the responses!

Larry

Top Bottom