Pendant Castings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

How think do people normally make pendants? I did a trial cast for one today and it ended up being about 1/2" thick once all the colors were in.

I am thinking about trying to rip that in half on the band saw to make a pair of them.

Anyone have an opinion on the optimum thickness?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I know each person does things a little differently with pendants. However for a while I did some with corian samples, which are 1/2" thick and I was cutting them both in half with the bandsaw to make 2 blanks for pendants.

Bellsy

Make up a long cylinder and after the cast is cured, slice it up like a loaf of bread. If you want to make it really interesting, fill the cylinder with burl pieces and make your own worthless pendant blanks.

Dave

Dai Sensei

As Dave said, I use some larger conduit 16" long. I just did one with sheoak pods, and another with coffee beans, both with bright pink Pearlex in the PR (heated and cast under pressure).

Cheers

Craftdiggity

I made myself four pendants out of wood and cast them in silicone rubber to make myself a mold. This way, when I mix up multiple colors, I have enough room to pour it all without any waste. I also made bracelet molds and earring molds so that I can make sets. With all of these, once the piece cures in the mold, I mount on the lathe and scrape smooth using a skew and go right to sanding. There is almost no waste at all. This is sort of a "Resin Saver" for jewelry casting.

Molds.jpg

Top Bottom