Does Food Coloring Fade?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I tried a Wall Street II Gold pen with curly maple dyed blue, and a friction polish finish. for now on I will be using CA, but for this guy will the dye Fade out? how long will it take?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I think it does fade or something, just the other day I had a plate covered in cookies that were colored with food coloring and today the plate is just white again.:biggrin:

If you are using it on wood, you might want to use a UV resistant finish over it.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Neil, those were supposed to be for Santa Clause!!

I've made a ton of pens dyed with food coloring. All have CA finish on them. So far no fading issues. One of them I made for my girlfriend, a purple one. It's over 3 years old with no issues losing it's color.

I've made a ton of pens dyed with food coloring. All have CA finish on them. So far no fading issues. One of them I made for my girlfriend, a purple one. It's over 3 years old with no issues losing it's color.

Did you use just straight food Coloring, or vinegar as well?

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I use it straight up, just like my tequila:biggrin:. I buy the regular food coloring and neon food coloring. I get it from Kroger's, the name starts with an M?? Use it straight out of the bottle onto the blank. No mixing with anything. Let it dry overnight, then apply my CA.

Jim Burr

Banned
Food coloring is, IMHO, the worst of all coloring agents...I've seen it fade in as little as 2 weeks when exposed to florescent light and 3 weeks when exposed to sun. Friend that does gallery HF's and bowls has had the same experience.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
YOU HAVE BEEN ABLE TO KEEP THE SAME GIRLFRIEND FOR THREE YEARS???:eek::rolleyes::hammer:

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Just like CA finishes, there will always be varying opinions.

Joe, Gwen only keeps me around to fix her car:wink:.

bitshird

DNA added to the food coloring will help get it a bit deeper into the wood, My Daughter in Law has a pen I did for her 4 years ago and it's still bright green, plus there are special dyes for coloring wood like Trans Tint, which you dilute with Alcohol any way.

DNA added to the food coloring will help get it a bit deeper into the wood, My Daughter in Law has a pen I did for her 4 years ago and it's still bright green, plus there are special dyes for coloring wood like Trans Tint, which you dilute with Alcohol any way.

What do you mean by Dna?
I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy Transtint, Its expensive ( at least for me)

DurocShark

From what I've seen in my pens, it depends on the UV exposure. One I made my wife using food coloring is fine. One I kept in the car faded. Both have CA finishes.

Top Bottom