Pen Turning Tools -- another newbie question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bill Arnold

I have a 12-36 lathe and about 16 different tools -- gouges, chisels, etc. -- with it. In reviewing pen-turning tools, the only difference I see is they are shorter versions of "regular" turning tools. Will I have any issues using regular tools rather than those specifically marketed for pen-turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbryan

To answer quickly,NO!!! I turn most of my pens with a 1 inch oval skew. I prefer large tools because you can do small work with large tools,but it is hard to do large work with small tools. Also , Welcome!!!!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Big tools = Less vibration.

Last two passes you may want a smaller tool Got an old screwdriver, make a new skew.

FWIW

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I bought a set of pen tools. The only one I ever use is the parting tool, the rest just sit in a drawer taking up space. I use a 1/2" curved skew, start to finish on my pens.

wicook

I have a different opinion...at least somewhat. I just bought a Delta L200 midi and it came with a set of penturning chisels (nice extra). I find the skew way too small to use on pen barrels, but the parting tool and the larger gouge (it was a 5-piece set) are very useful. I find the larger gouge (1/4"?) to be much better at removing waste quickly than the larger standard gouges. However, I still use my 1" full-sized skew because that little guy just can't be used to smooth out the gouge cuts very effectively because of its size.

shull

Ditto to the others. Pen tools make a great give-away for vendors to sweeten the pot on lathe purchases. Most never see the light of day after the first couple of pens. Worse is the number of newbie turners that get turned off to the craft because of the frustration using these paperweights.

Top Bottom