Newbie needs help shopping . . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdemars

Hello, I am a "Newbie" who has been lurking and occasionally commenting on things I am familiar with.

What I am in need of is comments and suggestions on tools & materials needed for pen turning.

As you will see on my list, I have covered everything pretty well, but I know there will be things I am missing.

Also what is very important to me is specific info . . . as to what to buy and what to stay away from . . .

Lathe - JET 1014 (Have one for the wife and one for me)

Pen vise - (Have a Rockler now with a PH Design on order)

Pen press - (Have Harbor Freight 1 ton Arbor Press)

Grinder (Have Delta 8" Variable Speed grinder 1725 to 3450 RPM

Grinding wheels (Have stock 60 grit white wheel & 36 grit that has to go, suggestions for best replacement)

tool rest for mini - is stock OK?

Mandrels - yes we want to start out with a mandrel . . . .later maybe turn without . . .

adjustable pen mandrel or non-adjustable?

bushings - do you use with both adjustable & non-adjustable mandrel . . . do they come with the pen kits or do you keep different sizes on hand

barrel trimmer - what size -

barrel trimmer pilot shafts - what about several pilot shafts vs. turning bushing to accommodate a standard?

drill bits - type & sizes?

60 degree revolving center - do you use this for turning with a mandrel & turning without a mandrel?

60 degree revolving center - who makes the best one for pen turning?

turning tools - suggestions definitely needed?

pen tube insertion tool?

organizer boxes?

pen disassembler tool?

abrasive rolls?

friction polish?

polish?

wax?

glue?

blanks - best type of wood to learn with?

pen kits - best to start out with?

Book - Turning Pens & Pencils by Kip & Rex?

DVD 1 & 2 by Kip & Rex?

OK, what did I forget?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shull

It sounds like you have been doing some serious research. I congratulate you for your interest, this hobby is definitely addictive. You have asked MANY questions and I will give you my take on a few of them, but first I will give one little bit of advice. It sounds, from your list that you are new to turning. If this is the case then BEFORE you go out and spend the bucks on everything on your list, check out a local Woodcraft / Rocklers store and check out a beginners class. If there is no store nearby, find a turners club.

Now on to some of your questions:

Type pen kit to start... The slimline kits are probably the easiest and most forgiving for new turners.

Type of wood to start with... Assuming that you have no free wood in the area you live :) I would start with a maple or oak. Both are hard and easy to tool. I would stay away from Wenge until you get some experiance with tool handling.

Mandrel... I personally use a Woodcraft standard mandrel. Get a replacement shaft when you buy as I am sure you will probably bend it out of round either by too much tool pressure or overtightending the nut or tailstock.

Bushings... No they do not come with the kits. They are sold seperately but are reusable many times if you are careful sanding.

Barrel trimmer / barrel trimmer pilot shafts.... Size is determined by the kits you use. Kits are available with several size shafts included.

Drill bits ... Sizes determined by kit you are making. Slimlines take a 7mm bit.

Turning tools... Be careful Many sales people will try to sell you a complete set of high end tools for $$$$$. I personnally use a Skew, Parting tool and a detail gouge for pens. If you are interested in a set, many members have said the Harbor Freight set is quite good.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35444

Disassembly kit. the transfer punches available at Harbor Freight can be used to disassemble most pens you may come across.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3577

Friction Polish... Mylands

Finish... A questions that will open a new can of worms. I use BLO / CA with renaisance wax final coat.

Hope this helps out some. My only question is how did you get your wife interested in woodturning? ;)

Steve

sdemars

Actually, it is the other way around . . . While trying to kill time at a Houston Woodworking Show she said she wanted to watch what that guy over there was doing.

He was turning and we sat and watched & watched some more. . . . . Then she saw the guys & ladies demo a small lathe . . . JET 1014s . . .

I use a craftsman slow speed ginder. Grinding wheels (Have stock 60 grit white wheel & 36 grit that has to go, suggestions for best replacement)

Has workd fine for me for a few years, need to replace because of a few dings that the tools get caught on. I am going to buy a round tool rest. tool rest for mini - is stock OK?

I wish I would have gotten a good adjustable when I started insteadd of a standard mandrel. Mandrels - yes we want to start out with a mandrel . . . .later maybe turn without . . .

See above. adjustable pen mandrel or non-adjustable?

Yes bushings - do you use with both adjustable & non-adjustable mandrel . . .
You have to buy them seperatly and devise a good way to store them so when you inevidably drop them they don't roll all over the place. I use old film canisters. do they come with the pen kits or do you keep different sizes on hand

3/4" head with a 7mm shaft. Turn inserst for pens with larger tubes. barrel trimmer - what size -

see above barrel trimmer pilot shafts - what about several pilot shafts vs. turning bushing to accommodate a standard?

Buy as you go seemed to work for me. But if you just want some to have a good set Harbor freight has a large set for a good price. drill bits - type & sizes?

Yes. 60 degree revolving center - do you use this for turning with a mandrel & turning without a mandrel?

Little machine shop.com has some good ones that will fit you jet. It needs a shorter shaft on it than larger lathes. 60 degree revolving center - who makes the best one for pen turning?

Keep your eye open for a good sale. I started with a full size craftsman set and they work great. turning tools - suggestions definitely needed?

No need to spend the extra money. I use a cheap brush to apply epoxy to my tubes and then use the other end to push the tube in. pen tube insertion tool?

I have had no success with these. Then I am not organized at all. organizer boxes?

Get a Harbor Freight punch set. pen disassembler tool?

I heard at one time they were junk but haven't used them. I buy the sheets. abrasive rolls?

I hardly ever use the stuff, avoid the Hut FP. I use EEE friction polish?

see above polish?

Rarely use it, but when I do its Bri-wax. wax?

Epoxy for glueing tubes, CA for everything else. glue?

Cheap. blanks - best type of wood to learn with?

A good strter is the 7mm pens or the cigar style. pen kits - best to start out with?

Book - Turning Pens & Pencils by Kip & Rex?

DVD 1 & 2 by Kip & Rex?

Looks like you have everything I could think of. OK, what did I forget?

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

markgum

as a newbie myself; one thing with the Pen press. For me the 1 ton press caused me to 'crush' the blank as I was putting the pen together. I ended up buying a pen press from Woodcraft. so far so good with that.

rb765

As a newbie myself, I have a few I wishes. First, I wish I would started off buying the 5 roll set from PSI, much easier than cutting sheets for small pen turning pieces. Second, if I had a grinder like yours, I would either invest in a good sharpening jig, or make one (do a search for some great DIY how to's). Third, I wish I would have learned to use my skew earlier (saves tons of time getting your spindles or pens smooth). And, if you plan on doing anything other than pens, I wish I would bought a chuck sooner.

Good luck with you new hobby and we hope to see some postings soon.

rb765

Oh, least I forget, that tail stock clamp upgrade for the 1014 in the business classified section is my next tool purchase.

rherrell

Conventional wisdom says to start by turning slimlines but I respectfully disagree. My thought is one tube is easier than two and two ends to fit are easier than four. I would recommend getting a few Sierras, ALOT of extra tubes and a set of CALIPERS.
Bushings are fine to get you close but don't rely on them for your final dimensions. Learn how to use calipers right off the bat and you'll be a better penturner for it.
Since you're not getting a Beall chuck, YET, (you WILL want one later!), get an adjustable mandrel and always keep it as short as possible. The longer the mandrel the more room for error.
Finally, invest in good quality FULL SIZE turning tools. Cheap tools will only frustrate you and ruin the learning experience. After all, this is supposed to be FUN!:biggrin:

Last edited:

rb765

More thoughts

BTW, I totally agree with the comment about the Beal. It's the only thing keeping me from doing acrylics. I know you can get close on the lathe, but it's nice to be able to touch up your boo-boo's later.

And another I wish was that I wish I would started with a 3/4" cutter head on my trimmer like was suggested also.

Top Bottom