pen tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodspinner

I want an extra 100 2" pen tubes.

The only thing I see in the catalogs are 10" long.

I have two questions.

1 Does anyone sell precut to two inches?

2 How do you cut the 10" pieces and not screw up the edges of the brass tube cuts?

Good turning and be safe
Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Umm, maybe I'm missing something here, but is diameter gonna matter..?

As far as 7mm 2" precut tubes, I'm betting every store listed on the IAP homepage can offer you a good price.

John Payton

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
You're welcome..

I have never cut my own tubes to length yet, though I have wondered the best way to do it without 'mashing' the tube. Maybe the pen mill would straighten out any minor oops'.?

John Payton

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by penhead
<br />You're welcome..

I have never cut my own tubes to length yet, though I have wondered the best way to do it without 'mashing' the tube. Maybe the pen mill would straighten out any minor oops'.?

John Payton

I have heard a good way is to find a dowel that fits snuggly inside the tube and then cut it on the bandsaw. Still do not understand why to buy long tubes when spare tubes just cost a dime or so and they are already in the right length and diameter.

Rudy

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The easiest way is to buy a tube cutter from the hardware store. They're just a few bucks and do a quick, clean job. The nice thing about tube cutters is how easy it makes it to cut either supports for hand made center bands or to extend the length of your pen to form a tenon for adding the band. Here's a link http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0061491884.1097981521@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddadcmkmejdmicgelceffdfgidgjk.0&MID=9876 [8D]

G

One way is to mark a 10" tube after scuffing,Apply glue to mark an insert into blank.
Cut on a bandsaw.1/4" step drill bit is a good reamer,tube will square up with the mill.
Works well for custom "euro blanks"

Fred in NC

TIP: One tool that I find very useful in pen making is the RAZOR SAW. It looks like a miniature back saw. Most hobby shops carry it. I use the 1" x 5" 42 tpi blade that fits a #5 handle. Blade with handle cost about $6. The blade is very thin.

This saw cuts brass like butter, and leaves a very clean edge that needs very little finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom