pen stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick_G

Rick_G

Found a couple places that want to sell my pens on consignment. So I needed a display stand. After searching around the net I found one I liked and made one a little like it. I'll make a few changes to the next two but this will do for the first place.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

It certainly looks good and displays your pens very well. However (Yep, with me there often is another side to things), wood pen stand can have a downside. Some woods, or finishes, will damage the finish on the pens. This happened to me with some red cedar stands I made. Damaged the finish on every pen where it touched the stand. Suggest you not leave the pens in there longer than necessary. e.g. If a two day show, take out at night.

Texatdurango

Rick,

Just something to consider. I too was searching for some stands to display my pens and made a few from mahogany. They really turned out nice but I found my pens were competing with the stand! A few savvy members who do a lot of shows recommended the clear stands and I'm glad they did.

I don't think displaying pens on acrylic stands cheapens them at all, afterall, if a jewelry store can display a $10,000 necklace on an acrylic stand, it's good enough for my pens. :) Now I think they actually show the pens off nicer.

Some look cheap, some look nice, I waited for a %20 off sale then purchased mine from Craft Supply and am tickled with them.

acrylic-stand_l.jpg

Rick_G

Frank I should be ok there the stand is walnut with a water based poly and all my pens are CA finish.

After seen the ones posted by Tex in the reply after yours I took a chance and ordered a couple of them. Biggest problem here is the border police, or companies that ship via UPS even though you tell them not to. UPS has been known to charge $50 on a $20 item for clearing customs. Finding things like this in Canada is not easy.

workinforwood

I like the curved style but what I don't like is the fact that the stand hides the center band of the pens. Only thing I would have done different would be to cut that part open into a slot rather than a hole.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rick_G

Frank I should be ok there the stand is walnut with a water based poly and all my pens are CA finish.

After seen the ones posted by Tex in the reply after yours I took a chance and ordered a couple of them. Biggest problem here is the border police, or companies that ship via UPS even though you tell them not to. UPS has been known to charge $50 on a $20 item for clearing customs. Finding things like this in Canada is not easy.

If you need help with that US-->Canada thing, shoot me a PM and I'll help you out if I can, sometimes the extra shipping this may cause is actually a lot cheaper than some alternatives.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Rick_G

Rick, Craft Supply will mail orders to if you request it.

These stands have a shallow hole in the base and pens with blunt ends tend to tip out easily so I modified my stands by using a forstner bit to make the hole a bit deeper. Now, they stay in place and the point made by the forstner bit acts as a center point for the pointed pens. Here is a photo of what I am talking about, look closely at the holes in the base.

2008413151824_disolay%20mod.jpg

Rick_G

I did specify that they ship by mail and that shows on the order, although it does not show as shipped yet.

Thanks for the offer on shipping, I should be ok. My son works in the States crossing the border every day doing robotics programming. If it's something I have to have I can have it shipped to his place of work and he will bring it home with him.

I agree with you Jeff, it was a first try. If I build another I will do it that way.

Top Bottom