Pen Squaring Jib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JCochrun

So I am using the Universal Pen Squaring Jig that I got from PSI. My question for those that use this jig: What do you use for blanks that have tubes that are larger than 7mm? Specifically, I am doing lots of Bolt Action pens. I've been wrapping the rod with painters tape until I get the diameter that I want. Only problem is when I need to switch to another pen type. I was hoping that someone had an easier way to do this.

Thanks,

Jim
Penn Valley, CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

butchf18a

I've turned sleeves much as William describes. An alternative which gives more precise fit is to pick up successive sizes of brass tubing at local hobby shop or craft store. You will find each successive size slides over the pervious size. Start with your 7mm, get next size larger, then again. Do this until you have sleeve size you need. Easy to mark the approbriate size on the side and last virtually forever.

While this works fine, I much prefer a pen mill chucked in a drill. Pen mills now come in all the popular sizes and are not that expensive. Woodcraft has them individually as well as in sets.

studioseven

Most of the popular tube sizes have sleeves available except the 3/8. I took a wooden dowel, drilled a 7mm hole through it, then turned it on my lathe until it fit inside a 3/8 tube.

Seven

smik

Another idea but you will need to modify to use. Use a 1/4-20 thread x 5/16 shank size by x length shoulder screw. Grind the head off and the .3125 dia shank should be enough to work for you on the bolt action kits. Bushings are listed as .344 dia.

Top Bottom