Need Drum Sander Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I have been assessing my own equipment needs/wants lately and have decided that my next equipment purchase will be a drum sander. Right now I am looking at the following two pieces of equipment.

Jet 10-20

Grizzly 12"

If I go for the Jet I would wait until they have a 15% off sale (Black Friday???) so the cost between the two would be about equal. I don't know much about either and would appreciate any feedback you might have.

Many Thanks,
Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tdsmart

I have a Jet 16 x 32 from Craigslist find and use it almost everyday. I have found it to be one of the best tool investments I've made. I think the open ended design of the Jet offers much more flexibility than a closed design like the Grizzly. Keep a look out for a "gently" used machine on Craigslist. I found mine in almost new condition for about half price of a new machine.

Brian G

Dan, I don't have experiece with either model, but I do have a used Ryobi 16-32" model that at least qualifies me to talk about drum sanders.

I can't think of one flatwork project I've made over the past 5 years that didn't involve the use of the drum sander. I have a jointer and planer, but the drum sander helps with final prep.

Between the two you list, the first question I'd consider is what would most often be the widest piece of stock you'd run through? The 10-20 gives you the option of over 10", whereas the Grizzly limits you to 12". That's important if you're making cabinet doors, table tops, or resawn and bookmatched panels. It's not so important for veneering or other smaller widths.

They generate lots of dust, so keep that in mind in your selection. The Grizzly only has a 2-1/2" port. A drum sander doesn't generate a lot of noise, but the vac. attached to it does.

Have you considered the Grizzly G076? It's 10", but if you found the need to run something through wider than 10" you can probably remove the lock knob. Newer versions of the 16-32 drum sander similar to what I own have the same style of lock knob. The G076 is less expensive than either model that you referenced.

If I was spending $764 on a drum sander, I'd spend $150 more for the 18" from Grizzly, or work on finding a local craigslist listing for something less expensive and bigger.

Good luck in your hunt, and I'd be happy to expand on my experiences. I think a drum sander is great tool to have. Don't mistake it for a thickness planer, but with patience you can flatten unruly grained wood.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have the Performax 10-20 (predecessor to the Jet model). I think Dan, Tom and Brian have covered it well. Can't say anything bad about it except the cost of the sanding belts. Picked mine up off Craig's list a few years ago. Just wish it was the 16-32 version.

Boss302

I've owned a 12" Grizzly for a few years and it's an okay sander. It's seen hard duty sanding end grain cutting boards. The feed rate is slow and you don't want to try and take too much off otherwise you'll trip the breaker. The exposed chain drive must be cleaned and lubricated regularly. Once you learn how to change the belts it's pretty easy the next time around. The small footprint is nice.

jfoh

I have a 10/20 and use it a lot. It does a great job of cleaning up blanks when I am gluing up segmented blanks to keep everything perfectly square. Others, who do more flat work, are right that the 16/32 is more useful but a limited size shop means I have to make some decisions based on foot print size of power tools. Big and heavy can be a real problem sometimes. I watch EBay and have scored a few great deal on sanding belt for the 10/20. No one else seems to bid against me most times. When you buy belts delivered for less than a quarter each you just can not go wrong.

If you are in no rush the way to buy power tools is to watch Craigslist. Even one not in your immediate area. I have bought countless power and non power tools all for less than half retail price. Everything has been in mint condition and often has extras thown into the deal. My Powermatic band saw, dust collector and jointer came from Craigslist all for about a third of new retail. My big Delta table saw was picked up while I was waiting for a Powermatic table saw to come along. Point is that if you have time and can be a little flexible Craigslist is an excellent place to find stuff. I bought a barn full of lumber, cherry, walnut, ash and a lot of virgin chestnut, for less than a dollar a board foot, way less.

rherrell

I also have the Performaxx 10-20...same machine as the Jet. I LOVE mine, it's very accurate. Buy the belt material in bulk and cut your own, ALOT cheaper that way.
They also make a neat little tool for changing the belts, PM me if you want to know more about it.

smik

I used to own a Jet 16-32, very good equipment. Only sold due to changing interests.

Lenny

We used a Performax 37" at work for several years before getting a Chemco. Like Rick said, jet and Performax are now the same for service and parts. I believe ours sold for about $1600 through craigslist. It included several partial rolls of various grit paper.
These sanders are fine for a small shop but painfully slow after getting used to an industrial unit. A good dust collection system is a must!

shastastan

I have the Jet 10-20 and used to have a Performax 16-32 which I sold when I moved to a smaller shop. The trick with these sanders is to make sure that the drum is level and parallel with the moving table. I think I knock mine out of alignment moving it around on a mobile base so I have to level it every time I use it. Be careful to make sure that your belt doesn't gum up and burn your stock, too. I've ruined more than one belt by trying to take too big of a bite. I actually use my Makita planer more than the Jet drum sander, but for thinner stock, I use the drum sander.

Last edited:

dankc908

Many thanks for all the replies! Due to space limitations I am thinking of the JET 10/20 next time they go on sale. I really appreciate the input! :laugh:

Top Bottom