Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 51-100

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

I assume, we are talking quanity, not quality? I really dislike making more than 5 of anything, not really my thing. But I did have an order last year I took. Made 16 pens from an antique banister railing that came from my clients grandfather's house in the south, for Christmas gifts for her realatives. Mahagony & pens is not the ideal combo, I was less excited after the first five, but she was thrilled for sentimental reasons, so that made it all better.

its_virgil

25 Americanas in gold BEB for an insurance company and 16 Euro pen and pencil sets for a local banker. Like Anthony I don't like doing this many of the same pen in the same wood, but the $$$ is good and once or twic a year isn't too bad.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
If you are talking just one style of pen it would be 45 RT Euros from a cherry tree that was taken down on the customer's family farm just before it was sold.... went to all the family members at their annual reunion. I almost swore off this style of pen after that... and like Anthony was not impressed with the wood... just looked too plain... no burl or real figure to it... but the customer adored them.. all that counts...

BogBean

I would not take an order over 5 pens since this is just a hobby to me. It would just be a job if I took a large order and I am retired...:)

wood-of-1kind

Corporate clients are my steady source for business for me. Largest order is a 'mix-pack' of 15 Euorostyle pen. Larger orders seem to prevail most just before the Christmas Holiday season. My (corporate)customers like to give gifts of distinction such as a well made wooden pen to their 'best' clients.

Rudy Vey

My biggest order ever was 68 pens, and I rely a lot on such corporate orders (smaller ones are 10 pens, the better ones are 40-60 pens). The one thing I do is that I make these larger orders in one style only, Flat top American style is the one I make the most. The other style is the slimline. Most of these pens have then either a persons name or a company logo laser engraved. To make it not too boring, I make normally only 5 pens in a single wood, so my 68 pen order was made in 14 different woods/burls. This years big order was 50 pens and I needed them within 14 days (this includes the shipping to and from the laser engraver, the engraving time and then shipping to the customer). That was a tough one and I pretty much depleted my inventory, I had only 15 pens to make.

rtjw

I have never done more than 5 or 6 pens for a person. I would think that doing such big orders would make me lose interest in it really quick.

Deere41h

I had a friend order 65 that he wanted engraved with his company logo and phone number. It was a chore doing that many of the same thing. There is a picture of 50 of them in my photo album. Not the way I like to do them but the $$ were good.

Ron Mc

I'm working on a 200 Olympia style pen order now. I have 110 finished so I should be able to wrap it up in about a week in the evenings Thanks to my wife and sons assistance.

Jerry Crice

I have had many co-workers drool over my pens. The Bocote and Zebrawood Cigars are the most admired. When I mention they run around $30 - $35 depending on wood and finish I get an "oh". No orders yet. I've always suspected I worked with a bunch of "cheap-skates". [:0]

Termite1964

I am working on my largest order from one company now. It is for 125 slimlines out of the same wood with a 4 week delivery time. All engraved with the company name. I need at least a week turn-a-round time at the engraver. It has been very boring since the first 10. I just completed #85 so I am on the downhill side now. It has been a large undertaking due to the fact that I work two jobs now besides my woodworking business. I find myself thinking only of the dollars while turning but this kind of thinking is what got me into this mess in the first place.[:D][:D]

TomServo

I too mistook the poll for how many kits ordered... or i'd have selected 1-10 instead of 11-20...

Interesting note, I recently moved to this area and while penning out my chicken scratch on bank card receipts, have had two cashiers indicate interest - one lady looked even more interested when I said they were $40. I showed her the 3 pens I'm carrying around right now (hedgeapple, bloodwood and walnut). All are berea Am. Series 2000 FP (the screw cap style). edit: I've only been carrying them around for maybe 2 weeks, and I don't get out much.

Largest order so far: 1
Total orders: 1

edit: I live in grand forks, north dakota

alamocdc

My largest order was for 25 8mm Designers and 6 Cigars, all in native Texas woods (except 1 black PR cigar) and all laser engraved. I just got them back from the engraver this week.

Dario

Originally posted by Jerry Crice
<br />I have had many co-workers drool over my pens. The Bocote and Zebrawood Cigars are the most admired. When I mention they run around $30 - $35 depending on wood and finish I get an "oh". No orders yet. I've always suspected I worked with a bunch of "cheap-skates". [:0]

LOL...I know the feeling. I sold a few to my officemates but $25.00 is the most they will pay (and I use nothing but my best wood mostly burls).

Recently I showed them some Platinum Jr Gents and offered to make them in any wood (including amboyna) for $42.00-$45.00 finished with lacquer, free extra refill and gift box!!! No takers. [V]

Biggest order to date...13 7mm Euro using spalted buckeye burl @ $25.00 each (including gift box).

adirondyke

Upon learning that I make pens, a woman from my church commissioned me to make 50 slimline pens out of wood from her grandmothers hickory tree which was planted in the 1880s (a tree which held fond memories for her, her siblings and cousins). She gave them as gifts at a big family reunion. I thought it was a neat idea - sharing the family tree (literally!).

Marilyn
Ocean Park, WA[:)]

JohnDrayton

My biggest order has been for 15 made of Oak from the clients hunting cabin after it was destroyed by a tornado. I really don't like to have big orders, this is just fun for me and not a business. I had a job once,got tired of it after 35 years and don't want another!!
J.D. Drayton

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Each year I usually receive one order for 15-20 at one of the craft shows-never the same person, but SOMEONE will decide to give pens to all their employees in a small business.

JRC, I'd sure like to hear more about your marketing methods!!!!! Don't know that I want to turn 100 pens, but I'd like to be able to make that decision!!!

woodpens

With the help of my good friend Kevin B., we filled an order for 130 teachers pens for the FAA. They said it wasn't important when the pens arrived, but I MUST charge their credit card that day! [:)] I told her we could work with those terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom