Pen Mill Group Buy (As Promised)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Everyone up to this point should have received a PM with your total and where to pay.
let me know if there are any problems.

GouletPens

Can I get 2 6-blade cutter heads? I already have a complete 4-blade set, but the 6-blade would be nice for those punky burls....

Daniel

Brian PM sent, Skip one will be on your way shortly.
Just so everyone knows. it is not anywhere near to late to get in on this one. My plan is that time will never come. I am sooooo happy about that!
The buy itself will still be open for a week and a half give or take a day or two.

chuybregts

Hey Dan,

Pretty new joiner here and this will be my first group buy :)

i'll take:
1 set - 6 blade
2 - 6 blades heads
2 - 4 blade heads

Thanks!
Chris

GouletPens

I've only used a 4-blade head before, and I'm looking forward to the 6-blade I ordered.

Let me ask though, what is the advantage of having a 4-blade over a 6? I would imagine a 6 would be better in every circumstance, but since I've never used one I'm not sure. Anyone???:confused:

Daniel

Here is my two cents and worth. the 6 blade overall are smoother with less effort making them better for softer punkyer or even cross grain woods. anywhere that tear out would be of higher concern. turn 180 degrees with that train of thought and eventually you reach the point that a harder tighter grain wood would be milled better with a 4 blade head. Of course they both will work at either extreme. one case that I see the 4 blade is definitly preferable is with hard oily woods or possibly even plastics. anyting that has any issues wiht working it's way out of hte flutes after it has been turned to dust is going to be a much bigger problem with the 6 blade head.

I also mentioned above that seeing the brass tube as you are triming is not possible with the 6 blade head. some people including me do not like this. I have been in the habit of watching for the shine of that tube to tell me the blank is trimmed correctly. Using the 6 blade head is a bit like trying to drive with my eyes shut. not that I can't get used to it but it might get expensive before I get good at it.

jbpaul

1 set - six blade
3 four blade heads
2 six blade heads

Total of $34.55 headed your way via PayPal.

Thanks for running this group buy.

lpierce65

I would like to order..

3- 6 blade heads... 10.05
3- 4 blade Heads 10.05
2 - 4 head set 25.10

not sure of the postage PM me with total and the paypal address

Larry Pierce

Daniel

Leo, I will PM you info in an hour or so when I get home, but I wanted to say I l really like your signature.
I also like "there are those that think they can , and those that think they can't. They are both correct".

DanN

Hi,

I wonder if I can get in on this buy.

1 6 blade set, 2 4-blade cutter heads, 1 6-blade cutter head.

Probably will pay through paypal.

Thanks,

Dan N.

Daniel

I tend to forget that not everyone is as familiar with pen mills as I am.
the difference between a set a head, 4 blade and 6 blade is not always as clear to others as it is to me. I do have a great answer to this. visit my web site and look at the pictures and what not I have there. ignore the out of stock stuff but these are the items this group buy is for. here is the link
http://yourdonspens.com/Drill%20Bit%20Page.html

By the way congrats to Mike for being the first participant to receive there quote from the new data base where I was able to send payment info from work. the benefit of this distinction is absolutely nothing but I'm happy about it. I can now keep up in real time.

Last edited:

Daniel

ooooh better yet check out my first post in this thread.
nope sorry I think I gotta delete it for being to wide. but it was fun while it lasted

Daniel

Notice, I will be closing this buy on friday. I will then be gathering in the last few payments. so this is a general notice to everyone that the call is going out for payments.
there are only 16 orders that do not have payments so we are doing pretty good considering several of those only came in in the last 24 hours.
I will send one more PM notice before friday. over the weekend i will send any e-mail notices i can. I expect to be collecting payments until mid next week at which time I will be placing the order.
Once the order is placed the mills have to actually be made. the time that this takes depends on how busy the factory is. All indications I have had so far say that this is a good time to place an order. we will have over the MOQ on heads but only about half on the sets. Vera has to try and fill our order to the MOQ through other customers. there is no way to say how long this will take. expect a month for the order to reach me and you will most likely save yourself a lot of pacing the floor.
Please check the list in my original post and if I do not have you listed as paid but you have please let me know. I am not always that good about transfering info from one location to anouther.
So until friday keep the orders coming.

mitchm

Hi Daniel

Please add me to the list for:

5 x 4 Blade Sets
5 x 4 Blade cutter heads

I would like shipping to be USPS Express Mail International to South Africa, Flat Rate env. This should be around $28. Paypal for payment.

Thanks

Daniel

Here is the plan before everyone starts e-mailing me. i transferred the money to place the order from my pay pal to my checking account this morning. This takes a few days. i expect it to be complete on tues or wed, of next week and will place the order at that time.
the order then has to actually be made. it is not known just how long this will take as many factors effect it. I do not expect to receive the order for at least a month.
I do have a way to quickly and accurately check heads. and this will be the first time I will actually have stock to swap out for any bad heads so there will be a short delay for me to be able to check the heads. it is then about 5 days for me to get them mailed and them to be in your mailbox.
so that is it.
at this time there are only 4 orders that have not been paid. I will send out e-mail notices tomorrow to any that are still not paid.

As for anyone that sees this now that it is closed. I ordered 400 heads and 100 sets to have on hand. they are not being offered at group buy prices though. heads will be increased to $5.00ea, sets to $15.00ea. extra money is being used to develop more and more in stock items.

As a general up date on my progress with this idea.
I now have and plan to keep in stock.
Single Acrylic pen stands
50 cal BMG Kits
pen mill heads and sets.

I plan to add to this as soon as I can
individual pilots
some of the larger harder to find drill bits
possibly leather pen cases,
larger acrylic pen stands

Daniel

Order Placed 2-20-09
ETA 30 days

Just a note about just how much Vera is paying attention to this group. I was informed that she had submitted our order last Monday in anticipation of it being placed. how is that for service?

On another note. As I get group buys transferred to the keeping stock on hand variety. They will also become less visable. There will not be these huge threads that cause such a ruckus about products. Although these threads cause some issues for the managment of the group, bandwidth etc, trying to allow room for others to post threads as well and on and on. they also serve as great advertising. in other words there will not be a lot of ways for new members to know about the group buy unless others tell them about it. My view on this is it is the memberships group. if it is worth it to all of you to have these products at these prices. you will do what it takes to keep it going. If not it will fade away.
I expect to post notices of what I offer about as often as you see posts for the 50 cal BMG and Pen stands. every month or two if I even need to do that. So far they are doing pretty good at keeping themselves going. A good sign by the way.
Anyway, any mention of my sets, stands or whatever to new members is appreciated. It is your little store being built here.
On the subject of it being yoru store. I also invite you to suggest anyting you would like to see in it.
I have had a couple of these lately but so far nothing new to add to the line up. still working on leather pen cases though.

As a general rule I like to look for items that are
1. not generally offered by other sources (pen stands) or creat a huge savings over other sources (pen mills)
2. are a lost revenue item. what I mean by lost revenue is that you will not sell it later to recoup your cost.

I also will not be doing any more manufacturing involved items. Even the 50 cal ksits have been a huge drain on my time. imagine getting a large order for something like 400 pens. most of you would say no in a heart beat.

But the 50 cal kits are what made it possible to get my whole New group buy idea airborn. such is life.

Daniel

Greg, You are on my master list. Sorry I'm not keeping up with the post update very well
Will PM payment info.

Jeff, 1/4" straight shank (Or D drill rod size) 3/4" cutter head.

Daniel

Hello Folks, I received notice that the order left China last night. It is expected to reach me in 3-4 days. I will post another update when I have them.

arw01

Daniel, did you order extras?

Daniel, did you order extras?

For those of us that are stragglers getting in way to late!

Daniel

Alan, Yes I did 100 extra sets and tons of heads in both types. Hopefully these will not be out of stock again. yippee!

arw01

Great!

Great!

I am starting to have trouble with my woodcraft sourced set. The small 3/4" one does not trim the barrel itself anymore!

The larger one, well it has issues being part of the kit with lots of shafts.

That 6 flute one got my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom