Pen Mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Was looking through the new Kingspor catalog and they are carrying a new pen mandrel. Description notes they are imported from the UK. Looks very similar to Woodpeckers. Pricey but cheaper than Woodpeckers. Just an FYI.
F531FDB7-EE0A-4014-938F-3931F4D511F5.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

in 2021 I purchased a "Turn between Centers Mandrel" from PSI - I had been using a Mandrel Saver exclusively for years, and occasionally saw some incidents of poor concentricity. With the PSI TBD mandrel, you can only turn one item at a time - so a 2 barrel pen is two steps. No big deal. But it seems to me that my concentricity issues have become more frequent, and more pronounced. I do not over tighten the tail stock, or apply much pressure to the bushings. But I am not terribly happy with the mandrel. I may explore this colleted mandrel, or the Wood Turning Store option, to see if I see any improvement.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Kevin

KenB259

in 2021 I purchased a "Turn between Centers Mandrel" from PSI - I had been using a Mandrel Saver exclusively for years, and occasionally saw some incidents of poor concentricity. With the PSI TBD mandrel, you can only turn one item at a time - so a 2 barrel pen is two steps. No big deal. But it seems to me that my concentricity issues have become more frequent, and more pronounced. I do not over tighten the tail stock, or apply much pressure to the bushings. But I am not terribly happy with the mandrel. I may explore this colleted mandrel, or the Wood Turning Store option, to see if I see any improvement.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Kevin
I always finish up with a dead and live center, doesn't matter what method you use to get close. I just seen this at Klingspor and letting people know it was available.

Top Bottom