Pool Cue Pen Kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Man I am all in on so many different pen kits this winter it is spinning my head. I am trying so many new ideas. So far I have had a few failures. A couple I did not see coming and a couple I should have seen and just missed a step or two and it kept the blank from being perfect. I will spin one of them because I just like the outcome but it will have a flaw that like us all we know is there but to a buyer they will never pick up on it. That is for another time as I continue getting some of these pens done. Have to say every casting pen I stick in the tank these days is a butt clencher because of the tremendous amount of time and effort making the blanks. I bet when I say enough is enough for this year I will have 20 to 25 one of a kind interesting pens. But today as if I do not have enough to do I thought I would try a kit that I know I am going to love and have so many ideas for and that is the PSI pool cue kit.

Have to say this looks a little intimidating because of the weird bushing sets. This will be one kit that bushings are definitely needed. No turning between centers without bushings on this kit. I took a quick look at instructions and going to need to study them a little longer. Not understanding the slide on bushing with setscrew and where that goes and how. So before I spend a ton of time, I thought I would ask here for those who did these kits. What are the do's and dont's and what is that slide on bushing. ?? I am thinking it has something to do with the butt end and shaping the curved end. Also is there any videos out there of this kit being made?? If not there should be. Hope you are reading this Ed from exotics. If you have made some of these I would love to see some. And as I said would love to hear your learning process and if you have any photos of operation, please post. I bought a couple of those inlay kits that go with them but will hold off on doing those till I get a feel for what this kit is all about. Thanks. Wish me luck.

Saw this one. Nice job.
https://www.penturners.org/threads/psi-pool-cue.166681/

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Hi John, I have made a couple of these pens, and you are correct - the slider bushing is for forming the "Butt" of the "Cue". I was also confused with some of the instructions at first, but lining up the parts and bushings, it became clearer how it's supposed to work.

My biggest concern when I started was fitting all the pieces together and keeping them together. The instructions recommend trying different pieces in different spots until you have a good fit (i.e. some laser cut diamond shapes fit into different laser cut channels better than other channels. Also, try rotating the diamonds 180 degrees (top to bottom, not front to back) and see if the fit is better).

Once you have the pieces assembled the way you like them, definitely use all of the little rubber bands to hold everything in place. Then douse the whole assembly in CA to lock the pieces in. Don't worry about the rubber bands, they will come off during turning. Also, don't worry too much about some gaps between pieces. When you sand, the gaps should fill in.

I have attached a couple photos of pens I completed.

007.JPG 017.JPG 023.JPG

I wouldn't worry too much about forming the Butt of the cue perfectly. You just break the corner of the wood and round it a bit with your gouge or sandpaper.

Hope this helps.

jttheclockman

Very nice job Kevin. Yes those are the inlay kits that I have and will use at some time. Right now I want to just make a few to get my feet wet with the kit. I really like this kit and have ever since they came out. Just have not gotten to turn any yet. But since I am in this big pen making craze these days I thought I would try. I hope mine come out as well as yours. I know it is not a carry pen and is a desk pen but there are so many other kits that are too. I have so many ideas for pen stands and desk displays. It is one novelty kit they got right. The pen is too long to fit in my pool table pen box unfortunately. Still need to make one for that thing too. Thanks for posting.

jttheclockman

Love them. The inlay kits are perfect for them. So many ideas are rushing through my head. I went through this when they first came out. I get brain overload. :):)

sorcerertd

I've made a few, though I haven't used the fancy blanks with them. I did use the TBC method after getting close to the bushings. As already noted, the butt end is going to get rounded off anyway. I suspect you will have no problem with your skills and knowledge, but you could make one with cheaper materials to get a feel for the kit first.

jttheclockman

I've made a few, though I haven't used the fancy blanks with them. I did use the TBC method after getting close to the bushings. As already noted, the butt end is going to get rounded off anyway. I suspect you will have no problem with your skills and knowledge, but you could make one with cheaper materials to get a feel for the kit first.
Thanks that was your link that I referenced in the first post because I found it after I wrote the questions. That is what I am going to do. Play around abit first to get a feel for it. Looks like a very nice kit that will target many customers.

sorcerertd

Thanks that was your link that I referenced in the first post because I found it after I wrote the questions. That is what I am going to do. Play around abit first to get a feel for it. Looks like a very nice kit that will target many customers.
Oh, I didn't check the link. Ha.
They are monstrous pens. Must be because of that big butt. šŸ˜‰ Cue the laughter? OK, OK, I'll stop.

Top Bottom