Pen Display Set Up(Critique Please)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

Here is my set up the only think missing is my last display case Octogon on front(flat back). That will be between the 2 on the back. Tell what you see that I should change or is it good. I am 3 weeks out and this is my first trial run at it.
displaysetup008.jpg

displaysetup038.jpg

displaysetup011.jpg

displaysetup012.jpg

displaysetup013.jpg

displaysetup019.jpg

displaysetup014.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NC Wood Art

Good stuff there friend, I like that it does not have so much inventory on it that it clutters up the table. Only thing you may want to consider adding in my opinion would be maybe some sample pieces of wood or acrylics in raw form just to show what some of the other materials you can make them out of. If budget will allow I would also say use one of the digital picture frames with pictures of items being made & maybe a slideshow of items you have sold.

Oh yeah always mention you do custom work or take on commission jobs.

beck3906

Uncluttered look. Good looking sign on backwall from what I can see. Nice items on display.

Here are some things to consider....

1. It appears you have the tables butting against the back wall. Where will you be positioned to write up sales? Many shows do not allow you to be outside your assigned space.

2. What distance do you have along the walls and end of the table? Is there space for a wheelchair? You may have 2 ft, maybe 2-1/2 ft, depending on the table length.

3. Will customers feel trapped in if they go to the back? If so, they may be reluctant to venture back there.

4. You mentioned a big display in the middle of the rear table. How will you or the customer being serviced by this diplay access the products without risking knocking over the acrylic stands to either side or the wine bottles in front?

5. Maybe angle the small displays to the outside of the tables so customers can better see them as they walk along the side?

Please accept these comments in the manner being offered...food for thought to make your display better or to plan out the flow of things.

Last edited:

firewhatfire

notes being taken.

I am one of those ever optimistics that takes the critique given as a learnig opportunity. Keep the ideas coming. I removed the side walls and and that helped it tremendously. It has room to walk all the way around the table. hadnt thought of wheelchair bound.

Thanks.

gbpens

You need a place to sit, write up sales, package, change nibs and refills, etc. The pens and bottle stoppers are of excellent quality and variety. A good looking inventory, but how much are they? I did not pick up any idea of pricing. Make sure you have weights and or stakes dependng on grass or pavement. Perhaps you can find some inexpensive curtains to cover the front legs. Consider keeping cutomers and merchandise in front of you. You may need to watch the table while dealing with customers. Place pads of paper on table so customers can try the pens. Also card holders with business cards.

seamus7227

Phil, some good points have been made, but if i may, i think you should iron the white sheet that drapes down the middle front of your table, all of those wrinkles indicate a lack of attention to detail,In my mind it makes me wonder if a customer would think to themselves, "so then has that lack of attention to details been carried over to the quality of the pens?" please take this as only how i see and probably not others. Otherwise i like it, however i would like to see your back wall banner a little better! it looks super cool and you are just teasing us by barely lettin' us have a looksy:rolleyes::biggrin:

Brooks803

I've been going back and forth for a while now over some ideas. Mind you I've never done a show so my opinion can't be worth too much...

I would consider rearranging the tables. I would think it'd be cumbersome for customers to navigate between tables and NOT knock something over. I would consider making and L shape table layout with enough room for you and any helpers to stand behind. That'll get you face to face with each customer plus allow to you watch everything at once. Not to mention it'll make the displays accessable to only the people behind the counter.

Maybe have a small table when your "Phil's Pen Studio" is so you can still have that displayed and maybe put a single (secured!) pen for show.

You will need to think about where you'll set up for handling transactions and test driving pens.

Take tools for repairs.

I like the idea of a selection of raw blanks to be part of the display. Especially if you have some segmented stuff that's not finished yet. Make sure it looks clean, but still in raw form. That'll give the customer something to think about when you say YOU make the pens. Plus it'll give a segway into custom orders.

That's all I can think of at the moment...I'll add more if it comes to mind. GOOD LUCK! You've got my # if you wanna give me a call.

OOPS

I have to agree with Seamus. The first thing I noticed was how wrinkled the sign was in the front of the display. You are trying to look like a professional pen maker, and a wrinkled cloth like that says that you store your sign under the picnic basket over the winter! Actually, the sign you have in the rear of your display is so much more professional, that I wonder if you considered putting that on the front of the display, and removing the white sign altogether?

I like the nice, clean look to your layout. You will soon know if you have enough inventory or not. I especially like the way you set up your bottle stoppers. It should be easy enough for people to see exactly what they are, in case they don't know beforehand.

I hope this helps you strike it rich!

KenV

Thought -- The large full bottles I find to be distracting.

I use bottle stoppers with wine vinegar and oil (salad dressing) - and a decent wine vinegar in a smaller bottle with a stainless steel (not a plated bottle stoppers) allows better scale, ability to handle, and display of an actual product. Use white wine vinegar to avoid stains when there are spills. (herb vinegars look good too.)

Sawdust46

I enjoy showing customers what I start out with to make a pen so I have unturned acrylic, wood. celtic knot blanks. It gives them a whole new appreciation for the time ($$) it takes to make a pen.

But I would like to say thanks to all the IAP members who contribute to these threads. Even though I didn't start this thread, I have picked up at least three pointers that will help me with my display.

Thanks for startng this and thanks to all that contributed!

firewhatfire

Notes taken, diplay is put away until the show. I get to go in and set up a day ahead of time so I will have a better understanding of if tents will be butted up. Its a pretty large area and they want vendors spread out(best I can tell) so hopefully I wll be able to leave side walls off until time to close for the day.

Phil

gbpens

Park settings usually offer some space between tents so the "sides off" might work. However, shows in a city setting tend to leave a foot or two between tents. Something to consider in the future.

Top Bottom