Pen blank visitor?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
While looking through the blank drawer, I discovered this. Did it burrow into the blank, or out of it? The blank sandwiched in the middle, is Blue Mangrove which had worm holes filled with some clay or something. Whatever it is turned this stuff to powder. Gonna have to bomb the shop, anyway. This IS Florida.

Attachments

• IMG_1316.JPG
    IMG_1316.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 338
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

powder post bettle larva???? ,maybe.

You say it was filled with clay? May have been a egg cache for something in there. I know some insects like the carpenter bee will burrow in, lay eggs then seal the passage back out.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
powder post bettle larva???? ,maybe.

You say it was filled with clay? May have been a egg cache for something in there. I know some insects like the carpenter bee will burrow in, lay eggs then seal the passage back out.
Thanks Mike. I got these blanks probably in a swap around three years ago.

GaryMGg

Chuck

Any time you have bug holes in a blank, you have a possibility there is a larvae, eggs or other dormant form of critter in there.
Heat over 160 degrees should kill them.
I had a two-tone rosewood blank in a drawer for a couple of years do the same thing.

Bombing isn't necessarily enough; there's a Boric acid based powder (Timbor Insecticide) which has a very good reputation.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I reckon that the little critters are still in there !! :biggrin: No footprints leading away from the evidence is the clue to this eagle eyed superslooth!!!:tongue:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck

Any time you have bug holes in a blank, you have a possibility there is a larvae, eggs or other dormant form of critter in there.
I had a two-tone rosewood blank in a drawer for a couple of years do the same thing.

Bombing isn't necessarily enough; there's a Boric acid based powder (Timbor Insecticide) which has a very good reputation.
Thanks Gary. I'll be darned, I thought this was an isolated occurrence. The heap of powder undisturbed made me think it had wings, and flew over it. but scattering the dust all thru the drawer. Gonna take a closer look and toss out the blank anyway. In fact, I believe there are more of those blanks somewhere out there.

I reckon that the little critters are still in there !! :biggrin: No footprints leading away from the evidence is the clue to this eagle eyed superslooth!!!:tongue:
Thanks a lot Steven. I'm gonna go check it out :biggrin:

JohnU

Been there, had that. Lost a few buckeye burl and boxelder blanks that way. If theres enough tunnels in that blank you could always stabilize and cast it. Good luck with the little pests.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Been there, had that. Lost a few buckeye burl and boxelder blanks that way. If theres enough tunnels in that blank you could always stabilize and cast it. Good luck with the little pests.
I think your heartbreak was more severe than mine. IMO, this wood wasn't worth cutting up to start with. Unless somebody paid for the blanks.

can you soak it is some kind of solvent to kill anything thats left then cast it. that might look pretty cool.

Not worth the effort OR the PR. Here's the damage, and didn't find any creatures in there. Which worries me about my remaining blanks , AND the timber my shed is made of. :eek: The print on the blank says "Premium Blue Mahoe" . At least that's what it looks like to me.

Attachments

• IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 129
Chuck

I keep a microwave in my shop for drying woods and if I think I have critters in a piece of wood, he gets to stay in the wood... microwave for a few minutes on high, then a few drops of CA in the hole.... do be careful with the MW, I've also cooked woods to the point of smoke... not a good smell.

I think your heartbreak was more severe than mine. IMO, this wood wasn't worth cutting up to start with. Unless somebody paid for the blanks.

can you soak it is some kind of solvent to kill anything thats left then cast it. that might look pretty cool.

Not worth the effort OR the PR. Here's the damage, and didn't find any creatures in there. Which worries me about my remaining blanks , AND the timber my shed is made of. :eek: The print on the blank says "Premium Blue Mahoe" . At least that's what it looks like to me.

That looks like termites.

JD Combs Sr

If it were mine I would drop it in alcohol for an hour or two then dry it out real good with an air hose then a quick trip to the MW just to make sure no water was present then do a waste wood casting with say maybe blue or red Alumilite. The result would be a cool blank similar to some of MesquiteMan's blanks. A pressure pot would be a help.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

That looks like termites.
That's what I thought. But, I never knew termites to fill the tunnels with clay. And, there's usually hundreds of them.

Top Bottom