Pen Assembly Press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I started out with buying a ‘Press Screw’ Lee Valley and Rockler has one in their catalogs. Every thing else were scrap wood from other projects. Cut 2 end pieces 4.5 x 4 x 1. I dodoed a ¾ for the base. That wood is ¾ MDF cut to 10†long. The length looks as if I need to cut it back to 7..5 inches I have only ½†threads on the press as I assembled a slim line. At the left side and end, I drill hole so the press tread could go through. 11/16†hole. I mounted the bracket to the outside. With another piece of scrap wood, I cut a 4.5 x 1.5 and mounted that piece to the other end of the Press screw. Centering it . This block of wood depth was designed so the base of the wood slides on the floor /base of vise. I took more, wood and created a gliding post on each side of vise. So the press block runs smoothly cross the vise. I had have to go buy a screw bolt what was longer than ¾†so I could tighten the screw block to the shaft of the press. I screwed the end blocks to the base of the vise together.

Close-up
200822144629_pen%20assembly%20press%20%2002%20%20.jpg

Full view

200822144729_pen%20assembly%20press%20%20.jpg

Bill Daniels [:p]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Nicely done but could be "slow" compared to other means. I use an arbor punch (works like a drill press) and is very quick. Before that, I used a wood clamp to assemble my pens :D

avbill

I do agree with you Dario its a little slow. BUT I have a heavy hand and not knowing my strength I push the twist mechanism in too far all the time so this was my solve.

bill Daniels [:p]

badger

I use my bench vise, with a couple pieces of bamboo with magnetic strips glued to them on the jaws. It works, but I have to be careful not to over pressure.

You're press looks great! I used a screw like that for building a block printing press. Very versatile screw.

Randy_

Originally posted by R2

That is very nifty and inexpensive solution Bill.:):):)[^]
If I didn't have my Zylus I would make one of those.

Nice concept and well executed; but not so inexpensive. That screw costs $18.40 and with shipping will probably be around $25.

PenPal

Bill,
Real keen solution,one help for me was to buy a tapered reamer from Super Cheap etc that matches the taper of the pen tip,this shares the pressing over a larger area.This means drilling a hole where the tip goes then reaming to shape. Then a recess where the top part fits to make it quick to locate,amazing how small mods make the task fly,then a spacing block to give the depth for the winding mech.
I use a bearing press but if you do not make a lot your device does the job well.
From Downunder Peter.

Paul in OKC

a heavy hand and not knowing my strength I push the twist mechanism in too far all the time so this was my solve.

bill Daniels [:p]

To keep from over pushing the transmissions on 7mm pens, make a block of wood the proper length, about 3 15/16" long(mine is 3.95) and use as a guide. Works every time on slim line and 7mm Euro's. Been using one for years.

Very nice job on the press. Tried one similar without the screw. I bought the pen press from either Woodcraft or PSI.. after two pens I sent it back.. I had trouble with alignment when the pen was horizontal... like Dario, I use an arbor press from HF.. fast, not too expensive and everything is vertical and I can control the pressure much easier.

spin613

i use the Z-vise, an aluminum benchtop clamping system by Zyliss, equipped with plastic jaw covers. it was a couple hunded dollars, and definatly worth it. it has many uses for a general woodworker, but using it for pen assembally is wonderfull. it has a quick release and very fast. i recomend it for those who have it in there budget.[:p]

spin613

i use the Z-vise, an aluminum benchtop clamping system by Zyliss, equipped with plastic jaw covers. it was a couple hunded dollars, and definatly worth it. it has many uses for a general woodworker, but using it for pen assembally is wonderfull. it has a quick release and very fast. i recomend it for those who have it in there budget.[:p]

sdemars

If you go to ENCO, www.use-enco.com - They have a (1) TON Arbor Press on sale for $28.00. If your total order is over $50.00 you get free shipping. So I ordered the below. This way I get an ARBOR PRESS & a very nice cushioned anti-fatigue mat to go in front of my lathe for $52.54.

To get the free shipping you have to give the phone operator this code - WBJP8

Below you can see exactly what I ordered . . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model No. Description Qty. Price Tax Ext. Price
805-1010 1 TON ARBOR PRESS IMPORT SINGLE LEVER TYPE 1 $28.95
CR510-1368 1/2"X2'X3' BLK/YLW DIAMOND SOF-TRED MAT 1 $23.59

Sub Total $52.54
Shipping FREE ! ! ! on 60+ pounds is a deal . . .

gatornut

Here are a couple of pics of my "pen press". It's a potato wedger that I bought at a thrift store for $10.00. I glued a piece of masonite to a piece of plywood and mounted it where the blade would have been attached and also mounted another piece of masonite onto the "pusher" and Bingo a great pen press. You can buy the wedgers new at Northern Tool for about $40.00. About 50 times as sturdy as the real pen presses sold by PSI and everyone else.

200861119417_penpress1.jpg

200861119440_penpress2.jpg

randyrls

Originally posted by spin613

i use the Z-vise,

The Zyliss is a beautiful piece of engineering...

I always think "What else can I use this tool for?" before buying a tool. I want the tool to do more than one task. My pen press is a wood vise with a quick adjust. Wood jaws.

Top Bottom