Oval skew?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

I have used a regular skew(still need more practice)but am consideribg a 3/4" oval skew? Has anyone ever used a SORBY Oval Skew Chisel? What are your opinions on it? I got a $50 woodcraft gift certificate for fathersday thats burning a hole on my packet.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

I have a 1" sorby oval and just got it last week I think it was. To be honest it doesn't feel any different than a regular skew. I did have to change my "approach" so to speak when addressing the object being turn with it. Now ask me about shapening it and I will tell you for me it has been a little bit of a challenge. I opted for the 1" because that is what I learned with and I just like that larger tool. I don't even get my 1/2" out of the drawer anymore. All and all would I buy it again (well the wife bought it for my anniversary"? Yes.

I have a 1" and really like it. My credo with with skews is bigger is better (less chance for catches).

*NOTE* I have a Jet wet grinder with a jig that allows me to consistantly sharpen it to a razor edge.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA

Well, let me put it this way.

I have a 1" Sorby oval skew for sale. Only sharpen twice.

Ron, hold on to it!!!!!

Someday, when you decide to move up to turning resins, you will really enjoy that tool!!!!!;););)

Originally posted by ed4copies

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA

Well, let me put it this way.

I have a 1" Sorby oval skew for sale. Only sharpen twice.

Ron, hold on to it!!!!!

Someday, when you decide to move up to turning resins, you will really enjoy that tool!!!!!;););)

I love skews, I use them all the time.
I own 7 different ones, this is the only one that collects dust.

BTW, I also turned resin... once. While it sure is purdy, it ain't wood. :D

Fred

I find my 1" Sorby in my hands about 95% of the time once I have the bowl or pen blank turned down and reasonably round. I use the Tormet and the proper jig and always keep the cutting edge "scary sharp". Proper use of the skew eliminates a bunch of sanding and speeds up the finish work immensely.

If you keep the edge sharp and use it long enough until it feels right in your hands I would bet that you will find it to be a VERY useful tool. It just takes a bit of time and practice to achieve that feeling! ;)

el_d

Thanks for the professional advice and opinions guys,

Ron, you dont by chance happen to take $50 Woodcraft Gift cards do you?;)

Randy_

I have a set of not exactly miniature; but very small chisels that has an oval skew. I preferred to use it over a flat skew; but didn't like the small size.

Since I also have the $40 set of HF chisels, I decided to experiment.....not much lost if the experiment didn't work!! I put my 1" chisel (which I don't use very much) to the grinder and rounded off the sharp corners of the "bottom" of the chisel. Probably took no more than 15 minutes. Now it behaves very much like the little oval chisel in my other set...much nicer to use.

Not sure I would feel comfortable "modifying" an expensive chisel in this fashion; but I would probably do it anyway.

Randy_

Originally posted by mwenman

I have a 1" sorby oval and depending on what I'm doing, still find that I prefer my cheaper Buck Tools 1" flat 90% of the time.

Clarify, please. Is that because you prefer Buck to Sorby or because you prefer flat to oval??

Originally posted by Randy_

I have a set of not exactly miniature; but very small chisels that has an oval skew. I preferred to use it over a flat skew; but didn't like the small size.

Since I also have the $40 set of HF chisels, I decided to experiment.....not much lost if the experiment didn't work!! I put my 1" chisel (which I don't use very much) to the grinder and rounded off the sharp corners of the "bottom" of the chisel. Probably took no more than 15 minutes. Now it behaves very much like the little oval chisel in my other set...much nicer to use.

Not sure I would feel comfortable "modifying" an expensive chisel in this fashion; but I would probably do it anyway.

That's what I did to all my skews, the cheap ones and the expensive ones. Makes a world of difference in the way the skew handles (BTW - I used my belt sander)

What I don't like about oval skews are they are just to light weight and feel flimsy.

Top Bottom