PEG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Floyd

PolyEthyleneGlycol,
Has enyone used this?, I was told that this could be used on green wood but did not have anymore information on the subject.
It was kind of a "I heard of someone who heard that someone had learned to do this from someone else"
Floyd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The PEG replaces the water in the wood, so you have to start with green wood, and the greener the better. It works if you don't mind having vats of wood soaking for months while the exchange takes place, then waiting more months for it to dry, and finally using only an oil finish because nothing else will stick to the wood.

O6her than that it works very well, and would usually be used only on very large peices of wood where other stabilization methods won't work.

chigdon

PEG is what the Moulthrops use on their green bowls before returning them. This lead to their signature/secret finish because very little will stick to it anymore. I have no idea what finishes would work for pens. I also think their would still be too much movement in green wood for pens even with PEG.

Katie

PEG also causes certain woods to bleed. If you use it you need to add some boric acid into the solution to keep the wood from molding also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom