Peacock Feather Wrapping?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I am trying to prepare a couple tubes for casting, but I cannot get the feathers to wrap very well.

The tutorials in the library are using smaller feathers that are much longther than wide, so they don't need to wrap. I cut the feather off at the base of the eye so I only had the solid portion.

I was attempting to use the fly tying bobbin trick from the library, but whenever I try to bend the feather around, it splits along the seams and shows the tube through.

I know people do this. Anyone willing to give me a hint?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Just ordered a few 'bird skins', so I'll be watching this topic for the answer......

Thanks for this topic, saves me from starting the same one!

Don't happen to have a photo showing the 'problem(s)', do you?

Scott (feathers are awesome) B

clapiana

I have never heard of anybody wrapping the whole eye around a tube

I would think somehow you would need to coat it with a thin clear film to keep it together when wrapping it

biednick

Go to your local fly shop or find an online tying store and buy either Dave's Flexament or Sortex. Use an old credit card or something similar to smear a thin layer on the feather. Make sure you fully impregnate the feather with it. If I were you I would do both sides just to be safe.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Umpqua_Dave_s_Flexament/content_255665475204
http://www.basspro.com/Softex-Adhesive/product/63630/-1105107

EDIT: Don't just buy fly head cement, it's not flexible an can cloud some materials when it dries.

Last edited:

dgelnett

I would be interested in the reply also. I tried dipping the feathers in boiling water which helps to straighten the stem and curve the feather around the tube. It makes it a little more manageable to work around the tube and keeping the feathers laying down but there is always one that will pop up after the feathers dry.

Dai Sensei

I paint my tubes, then apply some glue and the feather, before rolling in baking paper and fixing with a rubber-band. Leave over night and then remove the baking paper as it doesn't stick to the glue.

This overcomes the rolling feather problems, but not the splitting of the feather strands showing the tube, but the coloured tubes give the desired background.

If someone has a better way, I am all ears :rolleyes:

Last edited:

philb

I paint my tubes, then apply some glue and the feather, before rolling in baking paper and fixing with a rubber-band. Leave over night and then remove the baking paper as it doesn't stick to the glue.

This overcomes the rolling feather problems, but not the splitting of the feather strands showing the tube, but the coloured tubes give the desired background.

If someone has a better way, I am all ears :rolleyes:

That sounds like a good way to try! What type of glue do you use as I assume its not CA or anything thats going to run?

clapiana

I agree sounds like a good approach

Can you fill in the gaps which the tube shows thru with the feathers off the stem but that I would think breaks up the 'eye' so probably not

Last edited:

RHossack

I am trying to prepare a couple tubes for casting, but I cannot get the feathers to wrap very well.

The tutorials in the library are using smaller feathers that are much longther than wide, so they don't need to wrap. I cut the feather off at the base of the eye so I only had the solid portion.

I was attempting to use the fly tying bobbin trick from the library, but whenever I try to bend the feather around, it splits along the seams and shows the tube through.

I know people do this. Anyone willing to give me a hint?
I'm going to assume you are trying to wrap the peacock hurl around the tube?

What I do when I tie flies is to take 3 or 4 pieces and twist them together around the thread on the bobbin and make a rope out of the hurl and then wrap that around the tube.

Dai Sensei

That sounds like a good way to try! What type of glue do you use as I assume its not CA or anything thats going to run?

I find CA reacts with the feathers I use. I use a clear water based gel like glue that someone else gave me, You paint it on and it and dries clear. Almost run out, so I am currently looking at getting some Softex that looks pretty similar.

RSidetrack

I've run into the same problem with feathers I am using - so am interested if anyone has some other insight or maybe knows of a tutorial out somewhere on how to do it?

I have failed miserably at all my attempts - matter of fact I have 8 tubes that I need to peel off so I don't waste them right now :rolleyes:

Dorno

There is a tutorial in the library that covers doing the feathers but I am keen to see if anyone has a tutorial on doing the feathers another way ?

I wait in hope LOL

Cheers Ian

Turn n Burn

you might be able to use the ribbon casting techniqe using thin layer of PR place the feather and cast over keeping nice and thin although you may need vacume to remove bubbles I just bought my first gallon of resin so might have to try it out

Last edited:

JD Combs Sr

I have made a couple stabs at casting feathers myself but as someone else said above I failed miserably. The first one the black paint on my tube melted in the PR and clouded everything with a blackish cloud. The second one I did with a none acrylic paint and made sure it was dry. It didn't melt but the feathers weren't very prominent. The third used white paint to make the feathers show up better but it looks like crap. I will keep trying though. I hope some more experience featherers post in this thread.

Top Bottom