Pass it Forward - BOX #3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Last word I got was that it was supposed to ship from CA to Joe966 in MI last Thursday. I'm trying to confirm if that actually happened.

Lathemaster

While the box is still in motion. Here is a pen from a blank I found in the box. Titanium plated Sierra Vista. Coffee smelled great while turning and a little CA kept beans and Cherrios in their place.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20141114_134020.jpg
    IMG_20141114_134020.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 155

akingkubo

Got the box this evening! I have to get a new box tomorrow in the post office since the SFRB a I have had while waiting for this box is too small for all of the contents.
I will send the box to Jason no later than Thursday. Pics to follow!

akingkubo

All new boxed up and ready to leave tomorrow for Jason!
Tracking #9405903699300291449653
Jason, my husband cut some cool blanks for you native in Texas and added two acrylics and two fusion blanks. We hope you like or if not, pass it on. I wrapped all of mine in plastic and the pen I made is in a gift box. The medium flat rate box is heavy and packed tight.
Appreciate all you have done Edgar!
Maria

akingkubo

Box#3

What I took. The pen I took is gorgeous but the ink is skipping and almost like it dried up. I was going to change the refill but my husband and I cannot figure out how to change the refill! It has to be around the twist mechanism, right? Any suggestions? Again, thanks for this opportunity, Edgar!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 164

JasonC

What I took. The pen I took is gorgeous but the ink is skipping and almost like it dried up. I was going to change the refill but my husband and I cannot figure out how to change the refill! It has to be around the twist mechanism, right? Any suggestions? Again, thanks for this opportunity, Edgar!

That's one of Jim's Pacifica Petroglyph kits.

Instructions here: http://www.woodpenpro.com/instructions/instructions_pacifica_pen_kits.pdf

It should come apart above the lower warrior band - between the band and blank. Just pull the blank/cap off the lower.

Then just unscrew the transmission.

akingkubo

Finally found it and it was simple (duh). Thanks Glenspen & Jason!
Btw, we just dropped off the package in the post office today!

JasonC

Arrived!
10390026_868192513213609_771595654571567418_n.jpg

10432087_868192549880272_7644037795546276835_n.jpg

Contents
1504074_868192576546936_4628810814832222521_n.jpg

What I kept. Kids helped pick items. To the person that included the three small bits, thank you. I'll enjoy using them until I (inevitably) lose them. I almost lost them opening the lid on the container. :rolleyes: I'm most intrigued by the piece on the far right. Can someone tell me what that is other than way cool? Looks like a piece someone made from scraps. What's the story on that piece:confused:
1960085_868192633213597_3341498284655525418_n.jpg

What I put in. Brown Mallee Burl in Alumilite, Koa, curly Koa, Lychee, Chechen, Amboyna burl, Kiaat, Koko, Bamboo, Red Mallee Burl, Redheart, a coffee blank, and some others that I'm unsure of.
10342461_868192596546934_3842585003786496832_n.jpg

Packed up and ready to go to Virginia Beach tomorrow. I added some small pieces of Red Mallee Burl cast in Alumilite as packing material.
10393567_868192616546932_1713852814245204080_n.jpg

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
:rolleyes: I'm most intrigued by the piece on the far right. Can someone tell me what that is other than way cool? Looks like a piece someone made from scraps. What's the story on that piece:confused:

I have no idea, but the blank next to it sure looks like sassafras. :)

akingkubo

Glad you took four of my blanks!
What are the bits for, Jason? Used for engraving maybe?
Also what are the square blanks used for?
Maria~

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Maria~

If you're talking about the 2" square blanks, those are Coriander samples and can be used for medallions, compact lids & other such things. They can also be used for custom nibs, custom center bands & segmenting. They can also be glued up to make stopper blanks - just to mention a few possible uses.

JasonC

Maria~

Which four? I assumed the blanks in the zip-loc bag were from you so I know the spalted pin oak and Persimmon are yours. What two others:confused:

Those tiny long square Corian blanks - no idea. Too small for slims or segmenting- for me anyway. I'd say they could be crushed and used to fill things like cholla.

The square Corian samples can be used for segmenting and such like Edgar stated.

The bits? Here's where I'll use them on - ash for the realistic cigar pens.
10679750_848332695199591_7157479502470202705_o.jpg

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
These are what I sent back. I wish I had more better stuff but I only have been turning for a year and a half and I am trying out different kits and blanks. I am hoping I can make my own blanks next time.

Those look just fine to me, Maria and that's a really nice pen too.
Thanks for playing
Edgar

denniszoomy

While the box is still in motion. Here is a pen from a blank I found in the box. Titanium plated Sierra Vista. Coffee smelled great while turning and a little CA kept beans and Cherrios in their place.

Cheers
Mike

I know that blank, That is one I made. You did a good job on it.

JasonC

Hey, guys. Been BUSY these past couple of days. Wasn't available to have USPS pick up the box and wasn't anywhere near the PO.

Wife also went through the box. She really liked the blank on the Montague so it looks like we'll be keeping that one and putting one in.

Will ship Friday and update with tracking info.

USNR'03

Got home from work and what did I find, butwonderful box full of goodies!! Deciding what to keep is going to be a realpain it the @$$!! I will post pictures when the camera computer expert getshome in a few days. Jay I should have the box in the mail by Tuesday. Edgar Thanks again for setting this up, the wait was long but worth it in the end!!!

Regards

jayk1998

So, after three weeks of sitting unopened in my shop while I gave finals, traveled for the holidays, and spent time in bed with the flu... Box #3 is finally on the move again.

USPS tracking number is:9505 5000 1962 5002 0005 04

I didn't keep much, since I'm a new turner and didn't have much to replace it with. Also, I could not participate in the pen swap, since unfortunately (fortunately) all of the pens I had sold for the holidays. So what came in it, went out with it. Very nice work... mesquite?

What I kept:

GX3fHPo.jpg

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks for the post Jay - sorry about the flu. I hope you are fully recovered. I was out of town the last few days also & things were quite hectic here during the holidays as well, so your timing is perfect.

USPS tracking says I should get it tomorrow - we'll see. :)

tonychar

Thanks for the post Jay - sorry about the flu. I hope you are fully recovered. I was out of town the last few days also & things were quite hectic here during the holidays as well, so your timing is perfect.

USPS tracking says I should get it tomorrow - we'll see. :)
great to see the box is back home again were it started all 10 months ago well done everyone.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Box #3 - Before Pictures

Box #3 arrived back home on Monday. I finally got it unpacked & inventoried.

Here's the before pictures of the box when I originally sent it out.

It started out as an SFRB that was shipped inside a padded flat rate envelope. I carefully selected blanks, kits & other things to provide good quality while staying within the 2 pound 14 oz limit for a $20 international shipment since the box started out going to Australia.

The contents were:
a pen made from Texas Huisache from my farm
1 TX Huisache blank
2 TX Mesquite blank
2 TX Pecan blanks - one spalted, one nicely figured & colored
1 Koa blank
1 Spalted Tamarind blank
1 Spalted Royal Poinciana blank
1 Leopardwood blank
1 Norfolk Pine blank
2 BOW blanks
1 curly mystery wood blank
2 short acrylic blanks
1 piece of 1/2" delrin rod (about 4.5" long)
1 set of 4 delrin bushings
Some 7mm tubes & transmissions
3 pen kits - 1 bolt action and I think the other two were a Smitty's LeRoi and a Cigar

Attachments

• Box3_Packed.JPG
    Box3_Packed.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 109
  • Box3_Contents.jpg
    Box3_Contents.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 134

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Box #3 - After Pictures

Here's what came back to me in Box #3 - it had grown to an MFRB that was stuffed full of great stuff. There is no way I could use all this in a reasonable amount of time, so some of it will find its way into some BASH prize boxes next month.

There was so much stuff in this box that I didn't bother trying to make a detailed inventory, but I did group things and try to take some decent pictures with my iPhone so you could get a good idea of what was in the box.

The Box
As you can see, the box was full to the gills with no spare space!

The Pens
Not only did I get a pen back, I got 2 pens, a keychain and a magnet. Jay said that he didn't make these, so someone put these in prior to his stop. I'd appreciate it if the person(s) who made these items would 'fess up and describe the materials and finishing. They are all gorgeous. The pens are very close to the color shown in the photo, but the magnet & keychain are a little washed out - they are darker than the photo shows, but they have a very high gloss finish that reflected a bit too much light.

Wood Blanks
There were 34 loose wooden blanks - 19 with IDs and 15 with no IDs. There are several in this group that are new to me & I will definitely be keeping those.

Bags of Blanks
There were 3 sets of blanks in bags. I left them that way for the photo because I figured that all of the blanks in a bag were put into the box by the same person & this would keep them together for now. Most of these blanks are identified & several of them are new to me, so I will surely keep those along with the 2 really nice acrylic blanks in this group.

Acrylics, Stabilized & Antler
This grouping is a nice selection of "acrylics" plus a couple of stabilized blanks and a nice deer antler.

Corian
This grouping is mostly 1/2" corian blanks along with 3 square corian samples.

Kits
There were 6 kits: a Sr Gent RB, a Classic Vintage RB, a slimline pencil, 2 comfort pens and a lanyard pen

Misc Components & Pen Parts
These were all inside a small box: 4 more square corian samples, 4 slimline tubes - 2 black & 2 white, 2 cigar tubes, 1 deerhead clip, 1 perfume applicator kit, 1 perfume pen kit, 1 teacher pen kit and 2 mini refills

Misc Items
This grouping contains several items that just didn't seem to fit in any of the other grouplings: some blank cutoffs suitable for segments, centerbands or keychains; some predrilled blanks; a couple of larger unidentified chunks; one blank that might be stabilized, but I'm not certain about it; and a very interesting 1/2" blank -- the bluish/purple one on top of the large block. I'm sorry, but I can't quite make out what is written on the blank. I hope that whoever put this one in will chime in and tell us more about it. I am definitely going to keep that one for myself.'

I'm a bit overwhelmed by what came back in each of these boxes. I never expected to get more back than I started out with, but I truly appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and generosity. As I have mentioned several times, a good bit of the items from each box will wind up in BASH prize boxes next month - not because I don't like what came back, but there is no way I can use it all in a reasonable time and I like to share my good fortunes.

Thanks to everyone who participated in these 3 Pass It Forward games. I had a great time and I hope that you did as well.

Edgar

Attachments

• Pens.jpg
    Pens.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 131
  • BagsOfBlanks.jpg
    BagsOfBlanks.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 126
  • WoodBlanks_noID.jpg
    WoodBlanks_noID.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 110
  • WoodBlanks_wID.jpg
    WoodBlanks_wID.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 124
  • TheBox.jpg
    TheBox.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Acrylics.jpg
    Acrylics.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Corian.jpg
    Corian.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Kits.jpg
    Kits.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Components&Goodies.jpg
    Components&Goodies.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Misc.jpg
    Misc.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 124

tonychar

Here's what came back to me in Box #3 - it had grown to an MFRB that was stuffed full of great stuff. There is no way I could use all this in a reasonable amount of time, so some of it will find its way into some BASH prize boxes next month.

There was so much stuff in this box that I didn't bother trying to make a detailed inventory, but I did group things and try to take some decent pictures with my iPhone so you could get a good idea of what was in the box.

The Box
As you can see, the box was full to the gills with no spare space!

The Pens
Not only did I get a pen back, I got 2 pens, a keychain and a magnet. Jay said that he didn't make these, so someone put these in prior to his stop. I'd appreciate it if the person(s) who made these items would 'fess up and describe the materials and finishing. They are all gorgeous. The pens are very close to the color shown in the photo, but the magnet & keychain are a little washed out - they are darker than the photo shows, but they have a very high gloss finish that reflected a bit too much light.

Wood Blanks
There were 34 loose wooden blanks - 19 with IDs and 15 with no IDs. There are several in this group that are new to me & I will definitely be keeping those.

Bags of Blanks
There were 3 sets of blanks in bags. I left them that way for the photo because I figured that all of the blanks in a bag were put into the box by the same person & this would keep them together for now. Most of these blanks are identified & several of them are new to me, so I will surely keep those along with the 2 really nice acrylic blanks in this group.

Acrylics, Stabilized & Antler
This grouping is a nice selection of "acrylics" plus a couple of stabilized blanks and a nice deer antler.

Corian
This grouping is mostly 1/2" corian blanks along with 3 square corian samples.

Kits
There were 6 kits: a Sr Gent RB, a Classic Vintage RB, a slimline pencil, 2 comfort pens and a lanyard pen

Misc Components & Pen Parts
These were all inside a small box: 4 more square corian samples, 4 slimline tubes - 2 black & 2 white, 2 cigar tubes, 1 deerhead clip, 1 perfume applicator kit, 1 perfume pen kit, 1 teacher pen kit and 2 mini refills

Misc Items
This grouping contains several items that just didn't seem to fit in any of the other grouplings: some blank cutoffs suitable for segments, centerbands or keychains; some predrilled blanks; a couple of larger unidentified chunks; one blank that might be stabilized, but I'm not certain about it; and a very interesting 1/2" blank -- the bluish/purple one on top of the large block. I'm sorry, but I can't quite make out what is written on the blank. I hope that whoever put this one in will chime in and tell us more about it. I am definitely going to keep that one for myself.'

I'm a bit overwhelmed by what came back in each of these boxes. I never expected to get more back than I started out with, but I truly appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and generosity. As I have mentioned several times, a good bit of the items from each box will wind up in BASH prize boxes next month - not because I don't like what came back, but there is no way I can use it all in a reasonable time and I like to share my good fortunes.

Thanks to everyone who participated in these 3 Pass It Forward games. I had a great time and I hope that you did as well.

Edgar
wow that is a lot of good gear in the box Edgar great to see all the photos from everyone alone the way this was fun to be part of from down here in Australia. Thank you for letting me be a part of it.

Lathemaster

Edgar

The pen on the right is one of mine. Vertex click in gunmetal. For barrel I cast buckwheat hulls in clear Similar 41. I've been experimenting with casting botanical. So far I've tried chamomile, lavender and buckwheat hulls. You can find images on my Instagram account @lathemaster. If there is interest here I can post some images later today.

Cheers
Mike

Top Bottom