Pass it Forward - BOX #1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

"Give a lazy man something difficult to do and he will find the easiest way to get it done."

Of course, the fact that you get to go to someone else's workshop has nothing to do with it........LOL.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glenspens

Boy is that going to be a big let down for Brooks:eek:, but then it could be a win win for me ... he may feel so bad for me when he looks at my set up:laugh: and then give me a bunch of his sweet blanks :cool:...LOL

glenspens

GOT IT:biggrin: Brooks came to the house with it, will ship 08.12.2014 in the pm I will post pic and tracking # 08.12.2014
and it is a full box, pack to the max I hope the p o will take it:eek:

Box 1 is on the road making progress. It has gone from Clark in Corpus Christi, TX to Jonathon in Aiken, South Carolina, to Glen in Evans GA and now on the way to Tom in Barrington, NH
8-12-2014Box1_zps45c77aac.jpg

glenspens

Back at you Jonathon. Good thing you took a picture of what you put in the box Jonathon....that way the rest of the people getting the box will know what they missed.. i just had to take it out to make room for what i needed to put in......LOL

Cmiles1985

Same advice goes for you on the polymer clay blank Glen. I think this crystals are a little smaller, but consider yourself warned that they do stick up from the flower some.

kovalcik

FINALLY!! Those of us at the bottom of the list have been waiting for a while. I can't wait to see what's in the box. It's going to be like Christmas, but without the credit card bills! Have to get my put-ins ready.

Cmiles1985

Between spending an evening in the ER, some follow up appointments, generally feeling weak, and it being ~100 degrees F every afternoon, I haven't been in the garage a lot. So, last night I finally finished these four using blanks that came from the PIF box.

Whoever cast the blue/white Alumilite blank, please PM me.

Thank you all,

Last edited:

kovalcik

Box arrived Friday in good condition. I am just getting into it now. Lots of fun stuff! Going to be hard to decide. Should be back on the road on Monday.

Box 1 is moving on again this time from Tom in Barrington, NH to Kevin in Holly Springs, NC. Just one more stop until it is back to Edgar. As most of you probably already know Box 2 finished up early this week.
8-21-2014Box1_zps09406934.jpg

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Box #1 is going back out to Todd! This thing is bursting at the seams. :eek:

Tracking number is 9405 5036 9930 0361 5427 12

Items removed in the black background and items added in the wood grain background. It took me a while to remember how to add photos. :frown:

There's a lot of great items in this box. This has been fun for sure.

Attachments

• Pass it forward box 1.jpg
    Pass it forward box 1.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 151
  • pass it forward box 1 adds.jpg
    pass it forward box 1 adds.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 135
I am with you Jonathon all I can post is what I see from here too, so I don't know if it every got back to Edgar or not. By the way I wish I would have gotten the box right after you, great blank....

Mike

toddlajoie

I was pulled away from life unexpectedly for a week, which has interfered with me shipping this out (along with stressing out my PITH partners..) I've got the box packed back up and I'm hoping life gives me time to get to the post office during business hours today.

I'll post when it is on it's way.

toddlajoie

OK, I got the box to the post office on the first try!!! (that rarely happens with my job...)

On it's way back to Edgar

Tracking # 9114901230801643362234

Priority Mail 2-Day, so I would expect it on Friday.

Some really cool stuff in the box, some of it was hard to put back, but things I knew I would just never get around to using...

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks Todd! I'm looking forward to it.
The box is being shipped to my office, but I'm off this Friday, so I'll get it on Monday.

Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Box #1 arrived back home today.
I must say that it doesn't look anything like the way it started out. :)
It grew from an SFRB to an MFRB over the last 4 months.

Here's some quick photos of the box - it was crammed full of blanks and other goodies. I have only done a quick look at the contents, but there is some awesome stuff in here. It will take me a little time to go through it all, but I will post more detailed photos & a listing of the contents later this week.

Thanks to everyone for playing & thanks for your wonderful contributions to this box. I'm overwhelmed!

Edgar

Attachments

• Boxb.jpg
    Boxb.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Boxa.jpg
    Boxa.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 120

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Before Pictures

Here's what Box #1 looked like when it started out in May. Boxes #1 & #2 were both SFRBs that were shipped on the same day - the first photo shows the boxes which were placed inside priority rate envelopes. Photo #2 shows the contents of the second box:

Vertical blanks on the left: Spalted Maple, Mulberry from KY & Huisache from my farm.

Vertical blanks on the right: Mango from Hawaii & Spalted Pecan from my farm.

Horizontal blanks in the center: Banksia Pod blank from George (Robutacion) in Australia, a Rainbow Colored Casting from an unknown source, 2 BOW blanks and 5 blanks from Hawaii (Koa, Spalted Signature (or Autograph), Milo, Royal Poinciana & Pheasantwood).

The miscellaneous items are: a LeRoi Elegant pen kit from Smitty's Pen Works in Bk-Chr/Chrome, a 24k Sierra-style pen kit (I forget exactly which one or where I got it), a pack of 5 assorted slimline specialty clips, a set of 4 homemade delrin finishing bushings, a 50 cal & a .308 shell case and a Chrome Seam Ripper Kit.

The contents of Boxes 1 & 2 were very similar, but not completely identical.

Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Box #1 Before Pictures

I'm not sure how it happened, but I just realized that the Box #1 before pictures weren't included in my previous post. I was sure they were there when I previewed the post. So, trying again....

Attachments

• Box1&2_SFRB.jpg
    Box1&2_SFRB.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Box1&2_Packed.jpg
    Box1&2_Packed.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Box1_Contents.jpg
    Box1_Contents.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 148

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
BOX#1 - What Came Back

Here's the contents of Box #1 when I got it back. Man, there was a lot of great stuff in here. I'll be keeping some of it for sure, but there is way more than I can ever use, so some of it will find its way into BASH prizes in Feb.

I won't try to list everything in these photos, but there's about 75 blanks & 15 kits plus a lot of misc items like antler pieces, shell cases, cholla pieces, pen parts, some segmenting material.

Some of these blanks are really awesome including a Brooks803 alumilite blank & 6 Glenspens castings. Three of Glens blanks are worthless wood castings & one is a mini pine cone casting. There's also a couple of 8mm predrilled blanks - a mother of pearl & a carbon fiber. Plus lots of other really nice cast & wood blanks.

I'm especially intrigued by the blank in the lower right of Photo #3. It's labeled "Flute Material" and a note on the blank indicates that it turns like acrylic. I would really appreciate it if someone can provide a little more info on this one.

Thanks everyone for playing - I will make good use of these goodies!

Edgar

Attachments

• Box1-1.jpg
    Box1-1.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Box1-2.jpg
    Box1-2.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Box1-3.jpg
    Box1-3.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Box1-4.jpg
    Box1-4.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 133
  • Box1-5.jpg
    Box1-5.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 161

toddlajoie

I'm especially intrigued by the blank in the lower right of Photo #3. It's labeled "Flute Material" and a note on the blank indicates that it turns like acrylic. I would really appreciate it if someone can provide a little more info on this one.

I had gotten a couple of those blanks from Mark (Jjartwood) and from what I remember him saying about it is it was scrap from a local company that makes flutes and such. The looks of it in the photo seems light and blue from what it actually looks like (more neutral grey) but it polishes to a nice warm feeling deep black. I made a fantastically rich looking pen with it (wasn't sure, but the rich black with chrome hardware looks very classy...) I've used small pieces of them for custom centerbands and small segments also...

If Mark happens to see this, maybe he can clarify my memory on the material or add anything else he may know about it...

Ed, I'd be interested to know if anything made the entire trip (i.e. did you get any of your original stuff back??)

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
None of my items made the entire trip, so I'm glad that folks thought enough of what I put in the original box to claim everything at some point.

I did get back some similar items though: I put two BOW blanks in the first box and got back two nice Au Olivewood blanks from George's Bit of Timber. I also put one of George's Banksia Pod blanks in the original box & got back a Mini Pine Cone blank from Glenspens.

I also put a Koa blank in the original box & got two back in the return. The ones in the return box are apparently all sapwood - very light in color. I have a fair amount of dark Koa & some with a little sapwood, but this is the first such totally light colored Koa that I've seen, so that was a nice treat.

Thanks for the info on the flute material, Todd. That definitely goes into my special stash. I have a kit in mind for it, but it will be a while before I get around to it.

I also want to thank whoever put in the Yo-yo bushings. That's one of the things on my to-do list & it'll be nice not having to buy the bushings.

Everything in the box is great - there is just way more than I will be able to use in the near future as I only make about ten pens a month. So, some of this will find its way into BASH prizes next Feb, but not because I didn't like it.

Thanks again to everyone for playing. It was a blast.
Edgar

Top Bottom