Partial Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxwell_smart007

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
While I'm waiting for supplies (bottoms) to arrive, I've been experimenting with some different woods and playing around with shapes.

I found a broken guitar string, and tried burning some lines into dowels. The maple dowel didn't turn all that well (surprising, because I thought maple was a good wood to turn)...The poplar dowel turned better than I would have thought, actually..

They're nothing fancy, but they're a start. Now that I'm practiced up, I'll be ready for the mesquite next! :)

Edit: In the first pic, in the middle, second row, behind the mahogany and poplar stopper, there's a bishop's mitre shape...anyone have a clue what type of wood that would be? It's got some really need variegation, but I don't know what wood it could be...

Attachments

• stoppers.jpg
    stoppers.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 320
  • stoppers2.JPG
    stoppers2.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngeb528

Nicely done. They're fun, aren't they? I like them because you can do so many different designs & sizes.

el_d

Nice Andrew, I like making stoppers but Im not sure about the cork. I like the SS but I dont have any. Got to order more when funds are available.

ngeb528

Edit: In the first pic, in the middle, second row, behind the mahogany and poplar stopper, there's a bishop's mitre shape...anyone have a clue what type of wood that would be? It's got some really need variegation, but I don't know what wood it could be...

Sort of looks like some Chakte Viga I had gotten a while back. It was amazing when finished.

KenV

Christmas presents or special occasion memory presents abound. I have tried several of the stopper bottoms, and only stainless works well for the long term.

Those combined with a bottle of flavored vinegar and a bottle of oil will look spectacular on someones summer table.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Hey Neil - the round one with no embellishments that has variegated colours...orange, black, yellow, etc...very pretty wood, and I'd like to find more of it!

And Chris (Kalai)...I've used all that wood I bought from you last time for the Christmas craft sale last year...once the wedding prep is done, I'll have to order some more from you for next Christmas' sale!

Andrew

Top Bottom