3D resin wine stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimMc7

JimMc7

This is my 1st try at a stopper -- gift for friends -- LOML likes it, anyway :) Very simple design because I still haven't found the right tool for acrylics/resin. :confused: The catches in this stuff are noisy and spooky!

#301 stopper hardware from Ruth Niles, block from Arizona Silhouette, sanded to 1200g and finished with Novus #2&#1.

Comments welcome and thanks for looking!

Edit to add: Sounds like I'm blaming my tools and I'm not! I'm sure the right tool is sitting in the rack and I just don't know how to use it. The tool I'm most comfortable with now is a 3/4" roughing gouge rolled 90 degrees and entering the turning at about 20 degrees. I'm going to try grinding one of my skews to 45 degrees per one of the videos in the library.

Attachments

• IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3695.jpg
    IMG_3695.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

igran7

Thats a Beauty Jim. I have a couple of Ruth's SS stoppers but I haven't gotten around to putting something on them yet. Is that one of Ed's 3D stoppers from Arizona Silhouette?

mickr

nice job..esp. as a first one..very colorful...have you tried a skew?? Hard to use, but oh, so useful

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
For bottle stoppers, I like a 3/8" gouge, ground to a fingernail shape (pointy and long slope). Leave the end a little blunted until you get REAL comfortable with this grind. But the advantage is, you can make pretty deep grooves (coves that have nice crisp edges).

And yes, this takes practice, too.

Top Bottom