Paraphrasing Charleton Heston

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

Perhaps I was feeling a bit too posessive when I made this pen...

Anyway, I hope you like it,
Eric

Attachments

• HestonPen1.jpg
    HestonPen1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 565
  • HestonPen2.jpg
    HestonPen2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 335
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

Nice!

Reminds me of the quote my son told me yesterday:
The pen is mightier than the sword, but only if the pen is held by Chuck Norris.

turbowagon

Wow, I've never really liked the "bullet" pens, but this one stands out for me. And the quote just puts it over the top. Nice job!

Bree

Ok Bree,

This one's for you. Care to guess the wood?

Enjoy,
Eric

Well... I'm not really sure about the wood though the logical choice would be Olivewood. Ancient Greek and all.

I might point out that the translation of Molon Labe is a bit more difficult. Attic Greek is quite unlike English. Each word packs its function in a sentence within itself. Word order and the like are very flexible. and there are some complexities of meaning that are not directly translatable. This is one of those things.

What it means is more like... After you have come, then take it. The implication is that battle is inevitable and only after I am dead will you get what you want. So "You will take it, over my dead body (or out of my cold dead hands)." is actually a bit closer to what it means.

Come and take it taunts the enemy. Molon Labe has no real taunt in it. My friend is a professor of Ancient Greek. Taught me that. LOL!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Sylvanite

Well... I'm not really sure about the wood though the logical choice would be Olivewood. Ancient Greek and all.
Got it in one - good job.

I might point out that the translation of Molon Labe is a bit more difficult. Attic Greek is quite unlike English. Each word packs its function in a sentence within itself. Word order and the like are very flexible. and there are some complexities of meaning that are not directly translatable. This is one of those things.

I agree. "Molon labe" is not a taunt, it's defiance. I put "Come and take them" on the pen simply because it seemed to be the most common translation, not necessarily the most accurate. The most literal version I've seen is "Having come, take". A more fleshed out translation might be "If you want them, you'll have to come take them". A military history buff might prefer "Nuts!".

I'm not a student of Greek, so this was new to me. Thanks for the reference. Looking it up was entertaining.

Regards,
Eric

Bree

Got it in one - good job.

I agree. "Molon labe" is not a taunt, it's defiance. I put "Come and take them" on the pen simply because it seemed to be the most common translation, not necessarily the most accurate. The most literal version I've seen is "Having come, take". A more fleshed out translation might be "If you want them, you'll have to come take them". A military history buff might prefer "Nuts!".

I'm not a student of Greek, so this was new to me. Thanks for the reference. Looking it up was entertaining.

Regards,
Eric
Yes that is good... Having come, take. Kinda like... since you are coming, take it after you have come... but not before. And yes.. NUTS works for me! LOL!

I bought up about a dozen nice Molon Labe patches awhile back. Different colors and styles. I sewed one on a hat I own. Nobody knows what it is but it looks cool.
:cool::cool::cool:

Top Bottom