Painting tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodLM

so i have recently found out that using acrylic paint on tubes for clear casts... i was wondering if there are any certain brands, or places to by this paint that the members prefer? are there any that i should steer clear of for these casts? thanks!

-Logan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I find that spray paint works best for me. I use Rustolium brand, but I'm sure other quality paint would work fine. It usually takes me about 10 seconds to paint the tube and another 10 secods to paint the inside of the blank. I always paint both the tube and inside the blank on acrylics.

Jim Smith

PTsideshow

More than the type of paint, I think that the prep of the tube is more important, along with the proper drying or setting up of the paint. You have to remember, that even if the paint feels dry to the touch it isn't were the interface of paint and tube meets.
Cleaning all the lube from the tube that is used in the manufacture of it, since it is drawn seamless tubing and oils form handling, will also insure a good.
:clown:

PTownSubbie

I find that spray paint works best for me. I use Rustolium brand, but I'm sure other quality paint would work fine. It usually takes me about 10 seconds to paint the tube and another 10 secods to paint the inside of the blank. I always paint both the tube and inside the blank on acrylics.

Jim Smith

I think he is talking about painting scenes on tubes. Not backpainting....

Fireengines

Hobby Lobby sells a set of acrylic paints for less than $6.00. The same paint used in "paint by number" sets. They work great.

RMayoIII

About twenty years ago I was heavy into model car building and had a large stockpile of Testors brand paint markers.... I found them a year ago and they still work! I've made around 50 pens with them since without any problems. I was amazed and couldn't believe it at the same time. They can still be purchased just about anywhere models are sold.

LagniappeRob

Has anyone tried the Sharpie PAINT (not the Sharpie "permanent markers" that everyone thinks of, but the same people...) markers? I'm curious as I've looked at them but hadn't heard anyone mention them before.

Top Bottom