de-laminating or what???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMayoIII

Ok so, I read a bunch on here about casting using stickers and it seems like there are several methods that can have acceptable results. I tried something a little different than I've read and was sure it would work just fine, but....
It started with a PR blank that I made, turned down far enough below the bushings to apply stickers, sanded with 220 on the lathe, applied stickers, then placed them into some molds I made for tube-in casting and re-cast them in clear PR. So far so good... After 24 hours or so I removed the blanks from the molds to find that all my time and effort was to be chalked up as a "learning experience". The clear PR had formed what seems to be an air pocket or de-lamination of some kind over most of the stickers. I'm not sure what happened, but how can I prevent this from happening again? maybe CA over stickers before the clear PR pour? Anyone else have this trouble? I'll get some pics up as soon as I can if that will help.

eliasbboy

Ok so, I read a bunch on here about casting using stickers and it seems like there are several methods that can have acceptable results. I tried something a little different than I've read and was sure it would work just fine, but....
It started with a PR blank that I made, turned down far enough below the bushings to apply stickers, sanded with 220 on the lathe, applied stickers, then placed them into some molds I made for tube-in casting and re-cast them in clear PR. So far so good... After 24 hours or so I removed the blanks from the molds to find that all my time and effort was to be chalked up as a "learning experience". The clear PR had formed what seems to be an air pocket or de-lamination of some kind over most of the stickers. I'm not sure what happened, but how can I prevent this from happening again? maybe CA over stickers before the clear PR pour? Anyone else have this trouble? I'll get some pics up as soon as I can if that will help.

I have only made a few, but I put the stickers directly on the tube, then cast the entire thing in clear PR. Here's the result:

IMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0423_zps2fe236d3.jpg

reiddog1

I use stickers quite a bit on some of my pens. My process is as follows:

- Turn and sand blank down to 400 grit . 005 below bushing size and as straight as possible (no curve in the blank).
- Clean blank with CA activator. (I'm sure DNA works too).
- Apply sticker with no folds. Take extra time to get sticker on there flat.
- Put on Delrin bushings.
- Apply 3 coats of thin CA, then 24 coats of medium CA.
- Dress ends of your blank. (I use sand paper instead of barrel trimmer).
- Carefully sand excess back to final bushing size up to 600 grit.
- Buff with Tripoli and white diamond.
- Admire your hard work.

This is my process. I'm sure you will get many more. Hope this helps.

Dave Reid

Attachments

• 82214d1349187250-bullet-pens-imag0366_edit0_edit0.jpg
    82214d1349187250-bullet-pens-imag0366_edit0_edit0.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Top Bottom