Orange Flavored Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

This is actually prototype resin coloring for an Alan Trout style Wood/Resin vase but it makes a decent looking pen.

Gold and Satin Gold Cigar style pen dressed in ant sculpted Walnut(waste-wood) and orange pearlescent Alumilite resin. Finished with 10 coats of CA and MM to 12000 with a final coat of Renwax.
IMG_4695_4_6_Detail.jpg IMG_4698_7_9_Detail.jpg IMG_4701_0_2_Detail.jpg

I wanted to see how orange and walnut go together. If you remember Ant Pool, I am in the process of doing another and I was thinking of using orange instead of blue.
IMG_4073_2_4_Detail.jpg

This is the rough turning. If you can mentally close in the top of the form with a colorful resin and put some kind of opening there you have an idea as to where I am heading.
IMG_4586_5_7_Detail.jpg

Feel free to comment on the color combo as a possibility for the vase as well as reviewing the pen.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tkbarron

Nice pen JD! I think more contrast will do the bowl justice. Perhaps metallic red, really bright green, or better yet a nice pearly white.

Tom

flyitfast

I have seen almost all of Alan Trout's hollow form creations and the key thing for each of them is to make the resin "pop" the wood color and vice versa. Alan's coloring has been predominately blues and reds, greens, and golds. These seem to contrast best with the woods he uses.
Be prepared to use a large quantitiy of resin(s) as you cast them. Don't know how big your bowl is, but the mold will have to be sufficient to insure substance and filling voids.
I like your pen. Walnut and the orange are a good contrasting match. The blue hollow form might be deeper blue and more metallic.
You have selected a awsome artist to model your turnings after.

gordon

Top Bottom