Opps, too short!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

Okay, so I was setting up a blank for a Tec-7. I glued it up with 5 minute epoxy (and Mixol).

30 minutes later I went downstairs and used a barrel trimmer on it. The first blank trimmed fine, with a length of 1.9"

The second blank, I pushed the tube through, and before I realized it, my blank was only 1.8"

So is that still good for a Tec-7, or should I be looking for another kit? Any suggestions?

Mike...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Okay, so I was setting up a blank for a Tec-7. I glued it up with 5 minute epoxy (and Mixol).

30 minutes later I went downstairs and used a barrel trimmer on it. The first blank trimmed fine, with a length of 1.9"

The second blank, I pushed the tube through, and before I realized it, my blank was only 1.8"

So is that still good for a Tec-7, or should I be looking for another kit? Any suggestions?

Mike...

When you put the first one together you will have your answer for the second one. This is how we learn.:) Good luck.

MTViper

Do you know if the short blank is the bottom or top blank?

If it's the bottom blank, when you push the transmission into the tube, make sure you stop pushing when the distance between the top of the transmission and bottom of the nib is 10.1cm.

If it's the top blank, shouldn't make much difference with this pen.

Brian Frank

Hi Mike, I have turned a few tec-7s I would use the shorter or second blank for the nib or lower end of the pen. When you press the transmission in don't press it in as far as you would if the blank was the correct length. If the top or clip end bottoms out and won't allow the top to seat on the center band then a wider band will be needed. Hope this helps.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Mike, I have turned a few tec-7s I would use the shorter or second blank for the nib or lower end of the pen. When you press the transmission in don't press it in as far as you would if the blank was the correct length. If the top or clip end bottoms out and won't allow the top to seat on the center band then a wider band will be needed. Hope this helps.
Use the shortened blank as the top blank and it won't make any difference. you can stand much more than .1 inch variation in the top blank.

Top Bottom