Open-grained woods: Poll (sorta)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

This is just an opinion poll of sorts that I've been meaning to ask but forget. Russ' CA video reminded me.

For open grained woods like yellowheart, zebra, leopardwood etc that you will put a thicker film finish like lacquer or CA---.. do you prefer the grain to be completely filled, or do you prefer the open pores to remain to retain some of the wood feel.

AND

What do your customers seem to prefer?

My preference is open. Just feels right for some reason. Filled grain looks like plastic laminate to me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

My answer is simple, fish. It depends... not trying to be smartalicky (sp?), jsut telling the truth. I let the wood tell me what finish it wants. May sound strange, but that's me. I just did a Irish Bog Oak in dipped lacquer and I didn't fill in all the pores (you'll be seeing it later this weekend). Other times (with woods like you mentioned), I'll fill them in with CA.

Customer preferences? That too varies. Some like a nice shiney finish like the lacquer gives and others prefer the wood to be about as nekkid as I can leave it. And it doesn't matter whether or not we're talking open or closed grain.

redfishsc

Jeff, I agree that lacquer tends to not be as plastic feeling as CA can.

Thanks for the info. Alamo, I know what you mean. Being a cabinet specialty finisher I know how some woods beg for a grain fill, yet others look better without it. For some reason, zebrawood looks better on a pen as open grain, yet the veneer SCREAMS for a clear grain-fill. The look changes rather abruptly on those last two sandings and recoats that top off the filled look.

Rifleman1776

I've never done the woods you mention but I avoid some woods like oak, walnut, hickory, ash, etc. These have open grains that, IMHO, do not lend themselves to tiny objects like pens. To get a decent finish on these definately requires filling the pores.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Definitely filling the pores(unless it becomes too much of a PITA and then I'll say "I like to leave it natural")
I have seen pictures of bog oak posted her without the pores filled.I have seen a bog oak pen that D.C. filled and finished.
There is no question as to what looked better and who the craftsman was.D.C's pen with the pores filled won hands down.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />My preference is to fill the pores. Not filling them makes me feel like I did not do a good job finishing the piece.
That pretty much says it all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom