One of those nights - ugh

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

I haven't gotten to turn much lately. Only 8 or 9 pens so far this year. Earlier this year and last year I bought a number of really sweet blanks (snake skin, watch part, computer, feather, etc . . .) and have been aching to turn them. Over the weekend I had some time, so I was able to turn 4 sierras down to size. Last night I had a few minutes, so I went downstairs to turn a couple more. Everything had gone well the other day so I thought I would try the watch part blank and a computer blank. This is my first watch part blank (and most expensive single blank I think I have ever turned). Things were going well. One end needed about 1 millimeter more and the other about .3 millimeter to get down to the size I like to start sanding at. Measured the ends with calipers and put back on the lathe. Turned a little off and measured again. Apparently I got the ends confused and took the larger amount off the end that needed less taken off. Now it is .3 mm to small on one end. Will need to rebuild the end with some CA. Ugh. I can deal with that, but it turns a 45 minute job into a 1 or 2 hour job. So I put some medium CA on the skinny end and pick up the next blank, a black computer chip. I've turned 4 or 5 of these over the years and know they chip out pretty easily, so I was taking my time and sure enough I here that chipping sound. Stop the lathe, it chipped out all the way to the computer chip. Ugh - again. Hit with some medium CA to rebuild the thickness. Turned a 45 minute job into a 2 hour job. . .

At this point I know better than to try anything else. So I start to vacuum up the mess on the floor that I had made and BAM! Smacked my bald head on a sharp corner of a bench. Not much blood, but a beautiful skinned spot - front and center. Ugh!

I'll spend the next couple of days slowly building these 2 blanks back up. Maybe get to attack them again over the weekend. Or, on second thought, I might just sand and polish some of the others I turned the other day.

Maybe I should have walked away after the 1st mistake . . .

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Yup, some days go that way......maybe now, you have won't have another for a long while...... at least you didn't CA any body parts to the lathe and have to call for help!:biggrin:

ZbR

Hi Dave,

It happens to me as well and I do not give up, instead I imagine that I have just exhausted the number of "disasters" for the future. It's also the series law, one event triggers others.
Hope you will make many pens till next unexpected problems.

Happy turning,
Zb

stonepecker

I have several 'marks' on my head and they weep and bleed at times. Yes, I am bald also but it is because I shave my head. I can't stand the look of out growing my hair. Hate the rim around the top look.

I usually tell people that ask "What happened to your head?" ..... Well, I am an abused husband. Good for a laugh!

P.S. Don't let the cops or doctor hear you say you are abused. DAMHIKT

howsitwork

Dave

tell 'em all you've decided to become a hermit and are adopting the "monk look " hair style !

Remember some days you're the statue, other days you're the pidgeon !

At least you didn't end up in casualty attached to something by the CA. I'm married to a nurse who never fails to remind me of the time I attempted to amputate my finger with a 10" model aircraft propeller, she had to be on duty that day didn't she !!!! Sympathy??? don't you dream of it "self inflicted so doesn't qualify " apparently.

Heal quick!

lyonsacc

No pics....Didn't happen!:biggrin:

Here is the noggin. Bigger scab already fell off :biggrin:
20161021_215856.jpg

Here are the 2 blanks getting medium CA added to the ends
20161021_215716.jpg

Here is a pic of a couple logs I cut while visiting my father-in-law. Black walnut and Cedar. Not a very good pic, but very good color on both of these. A friend of mine needs a new mantle (or is it mantel) on a fire place, so part of one of these will be used for that.
dave

Attachments

• 20161021_142636.jpg
    20161021_142636.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom