Not your everyday trip to he dump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I had an exciting trip to the dump today. On the way home I saw this large bird landing in the road ahead of me, as I got closer I saw that it had a white head and realized that it was a bald eagle. It was only a mile from the house. A very rare sight for this area. It's a little disconcerting that our national bird was dining on road kill possum but exciting to see nonetheless. I hurried home and got my camera and went back. I saw it again but was too slow to get a picture. This is the picture that I would have taken f I were quicker and a better photographer.

IMG_1649.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

We have quite a few here in Maine. They like to build there nests on top of the big power line poles. It is very cool to watch them fishing--death on wings!

Regards,
Michael

BSea

We have some in Arkansas. A few years ago, I was fishing on the Little Red, and saw 1 flying down the river back a forth. I've seen them around the state on several occasions over the years.

liljohn1368

We have 3 or 4 nest scattered around within 10 miles of me. One of them is within a 1/2 mile. I never see the little ones but the mom and dad i see quite regular. the guy that owns the land where the nest is close to me owns catfish ponds as well. That's where I see them most of the time.

Kenny Durrant

I read somewhere that the eagles can be a scavenger as well as a hunter. I've been in Texas all my life and I've only seen them here a few times. I was duck hunting in East Texas and two flew over us while on the lake and it was an impressive sight. My wife and I went to Alaska a few years ago and they were everywhere. In the small towns the eagles were like crows, crows here anyway.

MDWine

When the rivers freeze here in No. Va., and the fishing becomes difficult, the eagles go to the dumps for an easy meal. We go down and get pictures most every winter.

Interestingly, we can get pretty close to them in the car, hang out the windows and shoot away... get out of the car and they disperse pretty quickly! Pretty awesome to get to go back and see'm again, even if you got no pictures!!

Pretty cool, methinks!!

sbwertz

We have several breeding pairs of golden eagles near my house. Not as impressive as the bald eagle, but still a big beautiful bird, and yes, they too will scavenge road kill.

jamesburger

A lot of people think the US is in decline, but I'm glad to see that at least one of our strongest national symbols appears to be proliferating. Seeing a bald eagle in person is really a special event. When I was a kid the only Bald Eagle I thought I'd ever get to see up close was the Muppet named Sam the Eagle!

Until fairly recently, seeing any soaring, gliding bird of prey in the NY Metro area was rare and profound. Now they practically litter the highways. Even in New York City we have many hawks now, some famously living in Central Park, and many more living more modestly in the outer boroughs.

I actually had one swoop for a squirrel, and miss, while I was walking through Prospect Park several years ago... crossed my path within about 6 feet! I was totally unprepared, having been photographing flowers that day, and was just fast enough to get a few blurry shots, but not a great one. The squirrel was very lucky, if it were just inches further from that tree I don't think he would have found refuge from the talons rising from below.

https://www.penturners.org/media/30129

https://www.penturners.org/media/30130
I heard the rustling in the tree above me and managed to get two quick shots of take-off.

https://www.penturners.org/media/30132
The squirrel saw the hawk shortly after I did, almost too late, but scrambled up to safety. I bet he told quite a tale that night.

https://www.penturners.org/media/30131
The hawk returned to its perch, looking kinda ticked off.

Years later, I was lucky enough to work on-set with an amazing hawk and an amazing eagle (one of which you've possibly seen in television ads and shows), and at one point I had hold the eagle. I was absolutely amazed at the innate power of the thing, and I had sympathy for the celebrity who had to keep it on her bare shoulder and act cool about it (the magazine didn't even run the picture in the end!).

One of the birds was kept in a box and the other on a perch, blindfolded. I asked the wrangler about this, assuming the darkness just kept them calm. He told me that if one of the birds even glimpses the other the entire 2500 square foot studio would essentially become a human blender, and we would all be completely diced up while the birds stopped at nothing to kill each other. I didn't tell anyone else about this possibility until after the shoot had wrapped!

https://www.penturners.org/media/30133
The hawk on the perch is an actor, and, actually, even though he is called an African Brown Hawk, he is technically an eagle. He is also the wrangler's primary hunter, and he goes out on daily missions to retrieve food for all the other carnivores the wrangler cares for. He's been trained like a retriever dog, not to kill the prey. The less helpful bird waited in the box behind.

For anyone in southern NY state, there is a park off of I-684 in Westchester County that has a hiking trail leading to some hill-side bleachers set up specifically for eagle and hawk watching over the hills.

Last edited:
Top Bottom