One of these days...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I'll get the @#$%%^ CA over PR down.

While I'm not happy with the translucent resin in these beans (opaque colors only from now on), I hosed the CA finish. Inside the CA it's hazed in spots. Grrr...

I like my design here though. I'm going to do one in just resin, no beans. And maybe finally try the inset clip instead of using the ring.
coffeebean2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

What kills me is I've gotten pretty darn good at it on wood. It's the PR that seems to be messing me up.

With the hazing, I bet there's still some curing of the PR or moisture in the beans that's tripping me up. (The PR was cast a week before I turned this though.)

I'll try it again, letting the turned but unfinished pen "age" for a few days before finishing.

DurocShark

The beans are cast in the resin. After turning the beans are exposed and must be finished somehow. I've used lacquer in the past with good results on coffee bean pens, but it's not as durable as CA.

cnirenberg

Don,
I'm with you. Your design is spot on. Can't help you on the CA finish other than to say, I'm in the same boat as you. I have been playing around with some Alumilite white, and wasn't real happy with some of the pinholes I was getting or the finish (I liked your Berries and Cream pentel and wanted to try something different). CA is like mixing tequila and hot sauce, I'm sure I will like it eventually but right now I'm just trying not to scream.

babyblues

I've started using an aerosol can of accelerator for my CA finishes and every one comes out perfect, even when applying a CA finish to worthless wood blanks. I was all but ready to just give up on it because of some of the same issue.

I wouldn't think the problem is moisture still in the coffee beans because if there were still moisture in the beans, it would have interfered with the resin curing properly.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I like your design.
Did you use an accelerate while doing your CA finish. I've found it sometimes will cause white hazing. For the most part I've stopped using it. So what if it takes a little longer to set up.
Dave

Top Bottom