olive wood bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from laurie sullivan

I scored some fresh cut olive (1 4ft log and a couple of crutch pieces) and this was one of the crutch pieces. I love the smell of this wood.

Attachments

• DSC_02811.jpg
    DSC_02811.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 253
  • olive 21.jpg
    olive 21.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 295
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Laurie ... Definitely a beautiful bowl. One thing though, is that a piece of crotch wood and not crutch wood? Maybe I have missed something along the way ... either way, it is still an excellent turning. What is the finish you used for this piece? What are the dimensions?

robutacion

Gorgeous stuff. I've got olive envy.

Do you, really...???:eek::biggrin:

Yeah I agree, Olive will be always Olive, well... so I hope...!

Turning dry Olive wood is not bad but, the "dog's bones" is on the green stuff, is like carving a knife in soft butter and the smell is just over powering, in the best of senses, off-course...! even tough I've been told of people that can't stand the smell of Olive wood...!:eek: shame... bloody shame...!:eek::frown:

I must admit, I may have worked damn hard to one day have as much Olive as I want (sort of... is never too much...!) but that day has come a couple of years ago, which I "share" with everyone and if I keep alive and the written contract I have with one of the farmers in the area, does not go south, 3 humongous 160 year old Majestic Olive trees (Frantoio/Paragon) were cut by me 2 years ago, another 3 or 4 in a month or so, and the rest (total of 9) within the next 5 years max. I'm indeed a lucky man, rare goes the day that I'm not either slabbing, slicing, dicing, cutting, turning, making round/square/pen blanks, sanding of just buggering about with Olive wood, Majestic or Wild Olive species...!:biggrin:

Now..., remember green Olive wood has a mind of its own, and unless you sleep with it, it will crack...!:eek::wink:

Nice bowl, by-the-way...!:)

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Olive trees from Russel 009.jpg
    Olive trees from Russel 009.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 145
  • Olive trees from Russel 033.jpg
    Olive trees from Russel 033.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Olive trees from Russel 077.jpg
    Olive trees from Russel 077.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Padre

Those are gorgeous. And I agree wholeheartedly, the smell of working with olive wood is fantastic.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Great looking wood and form. I have tried that basic form a few times and struggle to get one I really like.

Top Bottom