olive ash vase (with some WIP workshop pics)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

hello folks

what with one thing or another its been a couple of months since i've done any hollow forms or vase's
here's my first effort of getting back into the swing of things!!

the initial blank was 13" long and about 7 1/2" square- mounted between centres
P1190994.jpg

roughing out with a 5/8" gouge
P1190999.jpg

P1200006.jpg

P1200007.jpg

i've removed it from between centres now and have it held on a 6" faceplate
P1200010.jpg

oh dear- I was going to make a much taller piece but I might have to change my plans to avoid this!!
P1200016.jpg

I start to the rough shape
P1200023.jpg

P1200026.jpg

P1200030.jpg

here's a pic of the top 2/3rds shaped and its now ready to hollow out
P1200031.jpg

I get a bit carried away and forget to take any more pictures!!
P1200043.jpg

8" tall by 6 1/2" wide
P1200074.jpg

carved neck detail
P1200064.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Great piece George, at least we know that this one is not a photographic trick with a miniature piece...!

You called it Olive Ash, can you expand a little...???

I never saw you big lathe before, and I can see that the old girl is built tough and should have plenty of "grunt" in that motor, what size precisely..???

You have still lot of wood left on that blank so, back to work, mate...!:wink::biggrin:

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
George

MarkD

Great looking vase and nice actions shots, although more pictures would have been nice :biggrin:

That's quite a lathe you have!

thank you for your comments

Olive ash can occur in the heartwood of common ash tree's (fraxinus excelsior) it mainly happens in big old tree's but can occur in younger tree's too. I think it got its name as the figuring looks a bit like the Mediterranean olive plus our native ash is a member of the olive family- the best example I've ever seen is in the late Tony Boase book "bowl turning techniques masterclass"

my lathe is a vb36 I've had it for 11years now and it has a 2hp motor, they are now fitted with a 3hp as standard but I've never managed to stop or slow mine down!!

alxe24

Great work there. I like the shape a lot, what a workmanship, I bet once finished it will look terrific.
Congrats

Fishinbo

What a beauty! Like the shape and the wood grain especially the little carvings which added some charm to it. Great turning!

cnirenberg

George,
I love the picture where you caption "oh dear...." and in the backround there is a poster that says rightly "Keep calm and don't panic". How true. Great piece of timber, and nicely executed form. Thanks for posting this.

Bobostro61

Very cool vase! Also, that's one heck of a lathe you have there. Makes my Rockler Excelsior look like a child's toy!

Top Bottom