Okay, so I bought this lathe...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/any-one-close-guy-102104/#post1449943

Got a message from the seller:

"The whole thing is about 46? long. The turning axis is 6? above the top surface of the bed rails"

Any guess about the size and weight? would it be a 12X30something?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Lovely little lathe :)

Manufactured in 1952, if im not mistaken. a quick check makes me think the model number is 101.07403

All of the craftsmans made before 1958 typically had the gears you need to rearrange for cutting different threads (changewheel gears), after 1958, screwcutting gearboxes were installed on most of them which is my preferred choice. Changewheels drive me nuts :rolleyes: but they do the job regardless just a bit more fiddley to get the configuration you want.

Looks like at some stage the power switch failed and theyve replaced it.. hell of a switch they have fitted.. may want to check that out, even consider replacing it.

Here's a parts list for it, which you may want to file away
http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman-12x36/Craftsman12x36.pdf

Get a pair of calipers on your leadscrew too. It distributes power to your cross slide as well as your carriage. If the lathe was used as part of a production line and done alot of repetitive tasks like facing, you may find that the leadscrew has worn in certain places. Just measure it all the way along the leadscrew and make sure the widths of the thread are even.

If you find its stalling on you, you have it in the wrong gear. go light with it until you learn its limits

thewishman

Brad, your guess was almost spot on! Just got it home - model #101.07383.

Everything is protected with a clean oil - no rust anywhere. All of the gears look practically new - no wear. The plug, which I am replacing, is from an old sewing machine - I got a grounded plug - needless to say, it is 110. The seller used the lathe to drill a couple of holes, looks like in wood (a very little bit of sawdust in the headstock morse taper) it was in his garage for 5 years, he decided to sell it when he didn't get around to using it.

Mike Redburn had quick eyes on this. I was listed for about two hours before I bought it, that was with waiting an hour in case Bob wanted it.

The headstock is a #3 MT and the tailstock is a #2, all of the dials are easy to read - it is a very nice piece of equipment.

My first project will be making a handle for the tailstock quill. I am much more excited about this than I thought I would be. Woo hooo!

thewishman

Here are some pictures, Mike. I'm in the dark about how the thing works.

20121004_231417.jpg

20121004_231425.jpg

20121004_231434.jpg

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Short answer is no there is no power feed. You will survive without it. Replacement handles on Ebay are $30.00 plus. A lot of them are interchangeable between the 9, 10 and 12 Look under both Atlas and Craftsman when searching.

Top Bottom