Ok I semi scred up my first !!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipes

I had at it tonight and did a slim line kit !! NOW I was under the understanding that you sanded the final to the bushings and everything outa fit IF you do this ?? I did this and the ends seems like I sanded to far specialy the nib end !! IF I sanded flush to the bushings shouldn't everthing fit ???? nuthen fits flush and I sanded flush ??? I am very confused !:( everthing was IMO simple but nuthen fits right close BUT no cigar .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

Consider this: when you sand down to the bushings, you may also be sanding a little bit off of the bushings as well. While it is true that you are sanding flush to the bushing, the bushings itself is getting smaller, so that pretty soon nothing fits any more because it's too small. I would suggest you get a caliper if you don't have one already, and measure your bushings. My guess is they are now too small and you need new bushings. Harbor Freight has an inexpensive digital caliper that many of us use. It goes on sale often too.

lybber8

Keep working at it. It is easy to sand too far and not realize it. Be careful that you do not sand the bushings. are you sure that you have the right bushings? Scrap the piece and try again...make sure you have fun doing it.

Curt

gerryr

Is this your first pen? If it is, I don't think you could have sanded the bushings down that much. Whose kit was it, whose mandrel, whose bushings? All those things can make a difference. Even if you sanded to slightly less than the bushings, the finish can make up the difference, unless you use friction polish which has not buildup. What finish did you use? CA is the easiest if you need some added thickness.

I would also recommend that you get some cigar kits. They are far simpler to make than slimlines.

JimGo

Harbor Freight has a sale on their digital calipers right now. A 6" will set you back a whopping $10-15, which is a very worthwhile investment. WRT your problem, there are manufacturing tolerances that may come into play, as well as variation between kits manufactured by different vendors (may or may not be the problem here). For the tolerances, remember that the bushings are made to within +/- some amount (e.g. .005" - I'm making this up, I don't know the exact value). Similarly, the kits are made to within some tolerance. I'd guess that this tolerance is about the same as the bushing tolerance. So, while .005" may not sound like much, if your bushings are too big by 0.005", and your kit is under by .005", then you're off by a total of 0.01". This doesn't sound like much, but it's enough to feel. Plus, if the tolerances are a little "sloppier", you can imagine that it can be more noticeable.

Then, like I said, different manufacturers use different sizes as their defaults. Slimlines aren't EXACTLY slimlines - there's a tiny variation between them. Not enough that swapping components is usually a problem, but it may be enough to further exacerbate the problems described above. For example, if you bought your mandrel at Woodcraft and have the default bushings they provide, but are using Penn State kits, there is a slight difference in the sizes. Once you get your micrometer, you'll start to see these things more clearly.

Pipes

Ok I used a PSI slimline and I do have calipers thou I didn't bother with them I thought the bushings would kina stop me ! The mandrel is from woodcraft there adj model!! I may of just samded to much BUT the wood and the bushings I just measured match up perfect ! COULD I of samded the bushings down the first pen ??? I know I could build it up with CA But I just did a quicly friction polish on it this stuff outa fit a LOT better I am kina confused ! I know enough about sanding and wood to know I should have a nice fit being as the bushings and the wood felt like 1 piece when I was done ! are PSI kits off that far ?? Iam a night owl so Iam gona do another tonight and see what hapens ! am wondering if I need to measure the nib on each kit and sand to a nice fit that way instead of the bushings ??? Thou the bushing outa be the right fit or what is the purpose of the bushings ? Am I wrong here ??

Pipes

And yes this is or was my first pen the bushings were sold to me by PSI and there slimline kit !!! How much sanding will the bushings take ? I would a thought you could sand them a bit with out changing them much ! But hey whata I know !!![:(]

Pipes

my wood is 7 mm the nib is 8 or to be exact the nib is 8.2mm my wood is 7.3mm and my bushings are 7.3mm and I measured the 2 slimline kits I received and the nib on them are both 8.2 mm !So this means 1 mm off and that seems to make a large diffrence !! maybe the wrong bushings in the pak they sent ???

Tea Clipper

My slimline kits and bushings measure in at 8.40mm. They are not from PSI but the measurements agree in general to what you took off of your nib. So either you got the wrong bushings or you got a little too agressive with the sanding. If the latter, don't feel bad because I've done the same thing; it's all apart of the learning process. The bushings are a soft metal and it's very easy to sand them down without even realizing it. What helped me was to draw some lines on the bushings with a magic marker, and when the lines start to disappear then you know you're sanding too much. I kept practicing unitl I can finish sanding the wood while just barely taking the marks off. It will come to you with practice, hang in there.[;)]

alamocdc

Pipes, I doubt you could have sanded 1mm off the first attepmt. My first set of 7mm bushings are still at ~8.3mm and I still get a good fit. Sounds like you got some bad bushings.

gerryr

I agree with Billy. I have several sets of bushings that have been used for quite a few pens and they all work just fine. You got a bad set of bushings.

JimGO, when I posted my reply last night, I kept getting this message about "flood control" being activated and that I should wait and try it again.

Pipes

I agree you guy are right !! PSI also agrees and there replacing the kits the bushings and my wood I used up !!! They sent the WRONG bushings !!! Man that is NOT good IF I was joe smoe and din't have YOU folks to ask I would be lost in a fog !! I pitty the smoe that gets this and duno what he is doing wrong specialy IF he has not done much wood working he would maybe just give up and be lost to the hobby forever thinking he was not able to do it correct ! I perty well figure I done it right and had a bushing problem BUT I just wasn't sure ! But thanks to you folks I confirmed my thoughts and am on my way ! I got to much to do for a bout a week to turn any pens I got about 50 tampers to turn and cut brass for that at best is a weeks work or more so I won't be able to get at the pens again for week 10 days . Its driving me nuts thou wanting to make pens and NO time to do it !! THANKS for everyones help it was and is apreciated !!!![:)]

Scott

Hi Pipes!

It sounds like you have already figured it out! Bushings should be considered a good indicator of final size, but not exact. As you have heard, even good bushings will get sanded down. So the calipers are the best way to make sure you have turned to the right size. That being the case, why not get right back into turning another pen, turn close to the bushing size, and finish sizing with the calipers? We are all waiting impatiently to see a picture of your first successful pen!

Scott.

Pipes

I am right back turning :O) BUT I gotta pay the bills so I got to get 40 + tampers turned and the brass ends that I have ordered done befor I can get any off time and turn some pens !! I can sure use calipers and turn now that I know about the bushings and I got some other pen kits also and bushings for those ! I for one can't wait to get a few pens done !! I use calipers on all my tampers as I cut my brass ends to size for each tamper and I never cut 2 tampers the same ! I can't stand to have customers order pushing me and I gotta pile right now !! I know its a goof thing BUT I wana play some early season golf here in MI gods game :O) and then Iam gona sneak thursday thru Sunday afternoons off to watch the masters !! then in between tampers I have about 25 stem and pipe repairs to do so its gona be about a week or more befor I can get back to the pens !! We hope to add them to our web site when I get the quality good enough to sell ! so I am serious about the pens !! just have to put them in line behind paying items right now !! we own and run affordablepipes.com and it keeps us BOTH busy ! thou Iam a bit busier right now than normal ! Its cutting into my GOLF and I don't like that ! :O) Right now I can't get any tampers ahead to sell on our site there all sold befor I even make them right now ! again NOT a bad thing but its killing my play time and pens are play until they pay :O) I am gona try and sneak a few pens in this week if I can get a break the better half here keeps me a moven :O) thou she likes the pen idea almost as much as me she may even start turning :O) A great member came over the other day and we didn't get to turn any pens but I enjoyed the visit Rudy Fey I had a visit at his shop also he is coming over to give some needed advice this week I hope ! He was coming tonight but I had a few things to do and couldn't be here ! I even bought a lathe off him for my neighbor ! Now he don't want it so the wife has a lathe to play on now !! got a Delta Midi off Rudy . I use the Nova Mercury ! Iam sure I will quit asking so many questions and stop being a PITA just as soon as I can get the time to spend serious with the pens ! You folks have all been just great not tosing this newbie out on my ear :O) And I promise pic's even thou I take awful pic's !!![:I]

OSCAR15

I have done business with PSI for quite awhile, and they are a great company. Many others would have said you were at fault. PSI goofed on the bushings, but they are going to MAKE IT RIGHT. What more can you ask for? As for sanding down the bushings, yes this will happen, but it takes a long while. Soft steel is not that easy to sand down. Certainly not on your first project. OSCAR
Originally posted by Pipes
<br />I agree you guy are right !! PSI also agrees and there replacing the kits the bushings and my wood I used up !!! They sent the WRONG bushings !!! Man that is NOT good IF I was joe smoe and din't have YOU folks to ask I would be lost in a fog !! I pitty the smoe that gets this and duno what he is doing wrong specialy IF he has not done much wood working he would maybe just give up and be lost to the hobby forever thinking he was not able to do it correct ! I perty well figure I done it right and had a bushing problem BUT I just wasn't sure ! But thanks to you folks I confirmed my thoughts and am on my way ! I got to much to do for a bout a week to turn any pens I got about 50 tampers to turn and cut brass for that at best is a weeks work or more so I won't be able to get at the pens again for week 10 days . Its driving me nuts thou wanting to make pens and NO time to do it !! THANKS for everyones help it was and is apreciated !!!![:)]

Pipes

I couldn't agree more that is TOP notch Cust service in my book so Yes I would and will buy from PSI again ! Thou I do see a lot a nice stuff from a LOT of the places you folks talk about here and have ordered from a couple of them !! CSUSA is one and man they ship FAST ! IMO and have nice products as far as I caN TELL BEING NEW ! [:D]

JimGo

Pipes,
I agree. PSI gets a bad rep here...they have decent stuff at good prices, especially if you buy through Woodturningz, Pens of Color, or other resellers. I love their slimline kits. I have made Berea kits and CSUSA kits, and I just don't see much of a difference. In fact, if anything, the PSI slimline kits have held up a little better - but that is purely MY EXPERIENCE. And that's not to belittle Berea or CSUSA - they make some beautiful stuff that PSI doesn't, and thats why I buy from them.

I also agree with you that CSUSA is fast to ship. If you want a really cool experience, give them a call some time - the people on the telephone are really great, and can give you an idea of quantities on hand, and some even have first-hand experience using some of the more obscure tools, kits, or products. For example, I was able to speak with one of their tech's about the cane kit, and he really helped save me a lot of time and trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom