OK Brag on my Nephew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

OK, I had to share this.. my Nephew lives in my small town.. and is creative.. and this is what he created for someone...Using a 3 D printer he made a HAND for someone who was born without one. How cool is that? He has no formal training on anything like this.. just saw it as a challenge! He is in his 30s..

Attachments

• David Hand.jpg
    David Hand.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 317
  • David hand 2.jpg
    David hand 2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 189
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

Does it function? If so, how does it operate?
It looks like there are pins through the joints.
Maybe it's just positional to hold objects?
Still amazing either way. The gentleman looks very happy.

tbroye

I saw it on TV a week or so ago and evidently it will work by attaching the nerves some electronic gizmo still to be developed. The hand it's self is not very expensive to make. Your Nephew is to commended for taking on a project like that. But just think how many things we have that we invent by some one with no formal education in whatever he/she invented. Hope he get patent before someone else grabs the idea.

wyone

The pattern.. design.. whatever is apparently something that is part of a group that does this sort of thing. The materials is some sort of a plastic and the estimated cost to produce just the hand for materials is on $50. Imagine that.. $50... a similar prosthetic commercially made is around $18,000 apparently. But of course his cost does not include labor or the cost of the machine, but just think how many people COULD be HELPED for not much cost!!

Top Bottom