odds wood in the uk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rarest wood

I was just given a load of free timber blanks including A log of Cotinus obovatus it is quite figured but has no burl does any one have any experiense with this timber not the burl what does it look like? just to check that what I have is correct also somthing called snowdrop tree Halsia carolina it is very burled with the tightest burl I have ever seen but quite light like maple as well as these and many other I have not come across I was given some Indian mesquite from INDIA Prosopis Prosopis cineraria any one else come accross these? they are all so beautiful!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rarest wood

a shed load

the top parcel of blanks are Indian mesquite the lower parcel are snowberry tree burl the log on which they reside is supposed cotinus species AKA rhus species it looks so similar to laburnam to me but the giver was an expert
I was also given
mexican padauk, pterocarpus acalucensis
verawood bulnesia arborea
Mari, hydrochorea spp
red beech, notogagus fusca
monkeypod, samanea spp
lebanese oak
ovangol
zebrano
haldu cordifolia (india)
muhuhu, combertom spp
satine
silver beech
plum
berberis spp
bitterwood vatairea spp
cambara
roupala
thuya
jatoba
ormosia spp
marble wood
zelcova
koto
tanu
dante
and a few others.........an yone wanna trade?:wink:

Attachments

• cotinus.jpg
    cotinus.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:

woodboys

I'm still new enough I guess that I have no clue what most of those woods look like. Or ever heard of. More pictures?

jthompson1995

The Cotinus obovatus is more commonly known around here as Chittum wood, and has been known to be very much sought after. The Snowbell is Halesia carolina, it is an ornamental tree here in the US, though I've never seen any of the wood avaiable, especially burled.

Skye

I can tell you the marblewood smells horrible when you drill it.

Monkeypod is kind of obvious. It's Banksia.

Top Bottom