Odd Question for our Jewish members??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USAFVET98

I was wondering if individuals including children are allowed to leave their home during the Sabath? I know some kids when I was younger who didnt go out those nights but I wasnt sure if it was religion based or parental curfew?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

While I am not a practicing Jew, I believe the answer is yes, they can however... The sabbath is reserved as the Day of Rest.
There for as a Jew one must not do any activities that can be labeled as work. Such as lighting fire, reading, unless this is for enjoyment or reading the bible, one can go on a slow paced stroll, but not walking many miles. So the challenge for most Jews is distance. We cannot go far on the sabbath. We cannot drive a car (combustible engine, fire is created and that is work) we cannot ride bicycles, or go on long walks that could make one sweat (work). Plus most Jews who do practice use this time to study the Torah (Bible) and have family time.

This is a very brief explanation, hope it helps.

capcrnch

Dan, the "can't work" rule is a pretty strict one too, right?
I think I remember a Jewish friend buying toilet paper that was cut into individual sheets, because tearing the paper off the roll was considered work.
Most of what I know about the Jewish religion I learned from the Big Lebowski :)

I also know that in downtown NY (where im originally from), there is a green "rope" that encompasses about 2-3 city blocks, forming a "square".. If you work inside of that "square" (aka inside the borders of the green rope), you're permitted to work or be out after sunset.

I'm not Jewish and am not a practicing Protestant, but I remember somewhere there is a tenant in the Protestant Bible that says the Sabbath is sacred and a day of rest... only exception is.. if your Bullock is in the ditch, it's okay to rescue him...

DurocShark

I had an Orthodox friend. Visiting friends, going outside to play, etc, was considered rest to him.

Creating ANY kind of fire, including the spark from a light switch or driving a car, isn't allowed. Meals must be cooked, lights turned on, any other needs must be taken care of before sunset. Walking to a friend's house is fine.

nava1uni

Shabbat is considered a day of rest and depending on the level of Judiaism that one practices it does mean no work of any kind. Orthodox Jews prepare meals ahead of time before sunset or have someone do it for them. Reformed and Conservative Jews are more relaxed about the strictness of what means work. It is really no different then the Christian practice of going the church on Sunday, spending the day with family and not working. When I was a kid stores closed on Sunday and no one worked so it is sort of similar to what Jews do on Shabbat.

Last edited:

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Dan, the "can't work" rule is a pretty strict one too, right?
I think I remember a Jewish friend buying toilet paper that was cut into individual sheets, because tearing the paper off the roll was considered work.
Most of what I know about the Jewish religion I learned from the Big Lebowski :)

I also know that in downtown NY (where im originally from), there is a green "rope" that encompasses about 2-3 city blocks, forming a "square".. If you work inside of that "square" (aka inside the borders of the green rope), you're permitted to work or be out after sunset.

This string thing is done in many cities and is called an Eruv which makes everything contained within, a single property on the Sabbath. Thus things like pushing baby carriages within the confines when visiting friends are permitted as that avoids the prohibition of carrying a burden across a property line. It does not remove the whole "fire" law or the laws against making or breaking things. Once while out for a walk, on a cold Friday evening, I was asked by a Hasidim lady to separate a pair of gloves that were a gift to her children. She could not break the thread connecting them on the Sabbath even though she was within the Eruv.

capcrnch

This string thing is done in many cities and is called an Eruv which makes everything contained within, a single property on the Sabbath. Thus things like pushing baby carriages within the confines when visiting friends are permitted as that avoids the prohibition of carrying a burden across a property line. It does not remove the whole "fire" law or the laws against making or breaking things. Once while out for a walk, on a cold Friday evening, I was asked by a Hasidim lady to separate a pair of gloves that were a gift to her children. She could not break the thread connecting them on the Sabbath even though she was within the Eruv.

ERUV!
I almost want to kiss you right now.
I've searched for 2 or 3 years for the name of the string/section.

Thank you!

Top Bottom