Observation (long)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I have read any number of posts concerning the "cheap" look of some of the pens we turn. This is usually related to kits with significant amounts of plastic pieces instead of metal. Pens like the El Grande immediately come to mind. In retrospect, for quite some time I was probably one of the loudest voices in this camp. Then an odd thing happened. I noticed recently that I no longer have that view point. Why? What changed? Did I wake up one morning under some hypnotic spell? Was it voodoo? I never really thought much about it. In fact, I can't really tell you when it happened.

However, I expect it has to do with a combination of things and I'll try my best to enumerate. First let me say that this post is in no way directed at anyone, and I certainly do not wish to offend anyone. It is merely an observation and why I think many of us (myself included) have (or had) such opinions. So back to the combination. Many of us are old enough to remember the onset in this country of Japanese "copies", and the fact that "cheap" was always attributed to anything with a "Made in Japan" sticker on the bottom. And many of these items involved the use of something we deemed inferior for quite some time... and many still do. This material? Plastic. While a great many products imported from Japan did indeed give credence to the label, it didn't take long for Japan to begin to actually make quality merchandise and actually reinvent manufacturing. The best elctronics are still made in Japan (my opinion), but few are these days. In fact, it was the Japanese who came up with the Lean process and most of the hot factory standards being used today (ISO 6 million, or whatever). Today, it is not the "evil" Japanese (stereotype of days past) making the "cheap" stuff, but Korea, China, Pakistan, etc.

Okay, so where am I going with this? Our prejudices about cheap and plastic are largely responsible for this attitude toward some of our kits. But is this valid? Many have stated that the Perfect Fit, by Berea, has the best twist mechanism of any twist pen we turn (and I'm inclined to agree). But shock of shocks, what's it made of? You guessed it... PLASTIC. Hhhmmmm, so why does it bother us that plastic is used as a non-moveable part, but we have no problem with it being a transmission? Don't ask me, that's why I asked you. [}:)];) Let's look at something else while we're at it. Would any of us say that a $300 Pelikan FP looks cheap? I wouldn't, but it may only be b/c I own one. How about $350 Parker Duofold? Both (and other name brand, high end FPs) use black plastic in the same places as the El Grande. In fact, if you look close at the Duofold, it looks surprisingly familiar... kinda like an El Grande. ;) For me, part of my change in attitude toward pens like the El Grande came when I started collecting FPs. It changed even more when I started using them.

The first time I turned an El Grande, I posted a review of it on TPS. One of the things I mentioned was how light it was. Well balanced, but light, and I believe I even said this made it feel "cheap". See that? Prejudice... because it felt light. But my Pelikan is even lighter. [:0] Oh my. What am I going to do now? I paid substantial money for a "cheap" plastic pen. Let me tell you, there is nothing cheap about a Pelikan. Wonderful pen! I've even changed my mind about the light vs. heavier pen. And this would be especially true if I wrote a lot. A lighter pen is less likely to cause fatigue. Over time a heavier pen, like the Gent (or even Jr. Gent if it's posted) can wear on the writer.

Is this feeble post going to change the minds of those who dislike kits like the El Grande because of the plastic parts? Probably not, but that's okay. For me, it took something more significant than reading someone else's words about such a pen to change my mind. We all have to make our own decisions. Such is life, but I like it that way. We are free to choose... what we like... what we dislike... and even our rationale as to why.

This change of opinion does something else for me. It opens my world to the new Cambridge that Berea recently introduced and gives me the ability to provide a very stylish (my opinion) and light weight FP and RB to my customers. And I know some of them will appreciate it. Thanks for listening. ;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

What makes the El Grande great is the shape of the nib part IMHO. I can't believe it is not copied on more kits actually.

It is also not a great analogy (IMHO) to compare kit pens with plastic components to plastic pens that were manufactured/designed to be as such. Kit pens are different, they have to go through a different handling and assembly process and metal is more forgiving when you want thin components as compared to plastic.

Plastic has evolved several folds and have their advantages over metal...likewise metal still have their advantages over plastic.

BTW, being from Asia, I always considered Japanese products great and IMHO they have outdone America especially on electronics and automotive for decades already. I know I might be hammered by those who believe on Detroit but the nice products they are producing now are mostly copied from Japanese technology.

All that said...I agree that El Grande is a very classy kit [;)]

Russianwolf

I have a preference for natural materials. That's one of the reasons I prefer not using CA as a finish. Plastic pieces on pens don't necissarily make it cheap in my opinion, I just want to offer something unique, and plastic is never unique in my opinion. Heck, I wish they didn't use black enamel so much on pens either.

Draken

The Berea page on the Cambridge states that all external kit components are solid metal, so it seems they got rid of the plastic. That or the webpage lies. [:0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom