Oak burl Gemini

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from angboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

200512845840_Dec72005A.jpg

200512845856_Dec72005B.jpg

This is a Gemini pen with a lacquer finish. The wood is oak burl. I THINK it came from Dario (that's my first choice for a correct answer), but if Dario doesn't want to claim it, then it came from BB.

Thanks for looking. Comments are welcome- compliments should be addressed to angboy, criticisms should be addressed to dahkfbehbiyb! :D:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Angela, that is beautimus! Dario must have been holding out on me cause none of my oak burl lloks like that. [:p] I'm not real fond of that particular kit, but you did a great job w/it! Very nice. [^]

Dario

Lacquer? You sure learned quick!!! Nice execution and looks great.

BTW, That oak looks like from me. You managed that inclusion well, congratulations!

Billy...if I remember right you have some that are actually much better [:p]. The ones with red streak came out from the first batch...those are the ones you got. I didn't find anything similar to those after.

Thumbs

Nice work! But that's a strange looking kit! Have you sold any of them? I just ordered a couple, too. How tough was that burl to work?

angboy

Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />Nice work! But that's a strange looking kit! Have you sold any of them? I just ordered a couple, too. How tough was that burl to work?

It's funny- I haven't sold any of these. It's my personal favorite kit, because it's different and kind of funky! But.... I do have a theory for why I haven't sold any. It's just a theory now, so I may be wrong... but it's probably because I haven't sold or even tried to sell any of my pens! Like I said, it's still a theory, so I'll have to do some more research to see if it pans out!

But seriously, I've found that among people who see these pens, and I've made several of the geminis, it seems like they either love or hate them. Definitely more women than men love them. My dad started out just thinking they were plain weird, but they've grown on him, despite his resistance to accepting them! I would say more people like them than not, it's just that I don't usually see a neutral reaction like some more traditional pens might get.

One person has told me they wish they came in more platings, and I totally agree with that! I sent PSI an e-mail about that and they of course said they'd consider it, which I imagine is the standard reply if I suggested that they consider making pen kits out of freeze dried ice! But there have been many times that I have a particular wood that is maybe a little unusual and it would look great with a gemini, but it needs a silver plating!

The blank was actually very easy to work with- it just got a little extra CA glue in the burl part. After I had already started it and it was too late, I saw something posted on the forum about using embossing powder and someone saying that it could fill in voids. I wish I had read that earlier, b/c I had the thought that I would have liked to have tried filling in the burl with a little gold! It may have come out looking strange, but it would have been fun to try it out!

ilikewood

Nice pen!! I love the wood.

I have sold several of these pens, but almost always in something like Redheart or Pink Ivory (lady or young lady buyers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom