Novus?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Troy Cole

Just wondering what the turners who have used Novus on Acrylics think about the results? Another question is do you use it before buffing or after buffing?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you have a buffer, you really don't need Novus.

BEFORE I had a buffing system, Novus 3 followed by Novus 2 was my finishing routine for all "plastic" pens. Sold a lot of them, so the results must have been "OK".

I far prefer buffing-faster and I buff longitudinally, which I believe gives better results, since it is at an angle to all the other machining I have done to create the pen.

FWIW,
Ed

edstreet

Look at it this way, there are 3 basic paths you can take.
1) micro mesh
2) novus or some other similar liquid polish, i.e. auto polishes
3) buffer.

Each of these paths nets you the same results and there is no need to use multiple. You will even find some posts where people have been using all three but that is a waste and not needed.

Truth of the matter is any of those paths will work and it depends on various things like material your finishing and what you have (as in buffing wheel, compound, wet/dry, etc..)

Having said that ;) How do you know you are hooked on novus? Simple, you have containers like this in your home. ...

attachment.php

Attachments

• nuvus-64oz.jpg
    nuvus-64oz.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,276

edstreet

OK So am I wasting time if I micro to 8000 then use novus 2? I get a really nice shine.

8,000 grit micromesh is 3 microns.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f28/sanding-media-their-grits-100657/#post1437468

Ok I would like to make a CORRECTION. I just spoke with the novus company about #1, #2 and #3. Yes indeed Greg and Larry's info that novus 2 is 5.5 microns is indeed incorrect. Here is how/why.

Novus #3 is a harsh abrasive, meaning the hardness of the particles that it contains is very hard. #3 will remove the scratches from 600-800 grit sandpaper, EASILY, due to the HARDNESS of the particles. They tell me that #3 *may* leave a haze but #2 will take that out. The 1:1 macro shots I took recently showing compound in the wood pours can be removed with #1.

Novus #2 is a somewhat soft abrasive, meaning the hardness of the particles that it contains is not that hard. #2 will remove the haze left by #3. #2 will EASILY remove the scratches left by 1,200-2,500 grit sand paper.

Novus #1 is a CLEANER ONLY. it leaves a silicon residue on the surface to help reduce dust and fingerprints on the item.

So in short sand with paper down to 600-1000 grit, then use Novus #3 on a paper towel, if there is a haze use novus #2, if not then use novus #1 and NOTHING after that. Using micro mesh or buffing compound will damage the finish, like going from a 1200 grit finish to 200 grit sanding.

As for the micron size goes he did not know the exact particle size as it is a range but to remove 600-1200 grit lines it would have to be SMALLER size. Also do not confuse particle size with hardness of the abrasive particles.

Ed

RDH79

Wow I am going backwards. But it looks better to me after I use the Novus 2. Maybe its the soft cloth giving it a little buff after the novus is dry and gone.
Thanks ED.

edstreet

Wow I am going backwards. But it looks better to me after I use the Novus 2. Maybe its the soft cloth giving it a little buff after the novus is dry and gone.
Thanks ED.

The cloth is one part.

Other parts are:
*) provides a more consistent, uniform abrasion over paper/mesh/etc.
*) helps 'flush' abraded materials from the area, wet sanding does similar and can be equally effective.
*) provides benefit of friction polishing

Not sure if you saw it or not but an earlier post in the thread I linked to.

Maybe now people will start waking up and realizing you do need to use only ONE of micro mesh/liquid polish/buffing compound, not multiples.

Seriously, go to a jewelry store and buy yourself a 16x loupe and look at your blanks, you will start to see some amazing things, for example if you are using novus you just need novus #3 after 800 grit and you can stop there. Same with micromesh or buffing compound.

Just about every post I have seen on this forum about novus has been well underestimating it's power. Most seems to use crap after novus which defeats the purpose. This particular product will do a very broad range and very fast to.

Some of the Micro-mesh you can skip as it's not needed for many surfaces. The harder the material the more grit sizes you will need; The softer the material the less grit sizes you need.

Now having said all of that you can get a good finish with buffing, with micromesh or with liquid polishes. Use whichever one you feel best suited for.

RDH79

Ed what do you use to apply the novus?
How about Ca finish? Or were we talking about finishing acrylics.
Thank You for all this information.

Last edited:

edstreet

Ed what do you use to apply the novus?
How about Ca finish? Or were we talking about finishing acrylics.
Thank You for all this information.

shop towel then by hand. That spot at the base of the thumb is one of the best buffing agents you can find. Not only can you feel very small particles as they come off but temperature as well. Guaranteed never to over heat.

Talking about CA finish, if you see my http://www.penturners.org/forum/f56/dragon-sceptre;-gent-tube-conversion-114232/ post you can see the power of novus #3 in action.

Top Bottom