Decal or laser?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JeremyLP

Hi all,

I have had a corporate client ask for some pens, which I am cool with. But he wants them to have the company logo on them. So I turned to those custom decal kits that you make with your inkjet. I somehow managed to make the logo and got a few practice ones to work on non-committal blanks (ones I don't care if they done work). After trying it a few times I feel that the decal is too big, as it is not wanting to conform to the shape of the pen and is leaving wrinkles, I have managed to get them out, but it is just not seeming very practical. Anyways, I got a few to look ok and sent some pictures to my client. He likes them but wants to add words which would make the decal almost twice the size.

So I am thinking.
1. The decal will be way too big and not wrap very well at all, and just be too big and difficult to work with.
2. I don't like the idea that I make these pens out of cool woods, just to be 80% covered with decal... whats the point?

I have heard some chatter about laser engraving. So I am curious.. will that work better?
How much do you think it would cost to have 25-30 pens done?
How long would it usually take? (I am on some what of a time line)
How do I go about finding a laser engraver?
Which woods work the best of laser engraving?
Apply the CA finish first, but don't assemble?
Anything else I should know?

Opps, the pens in question would be sierra style.

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

Jeremy
For me it depends on the logo and the colors. If there is more than 2 colors or if colors run side by side then I use a decal. Regardless of decal or laser the sizes are usually same.

Alan

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
On a "double curve" surface of a pen blank I have had zero success with decals. If the finished blank is more or less straight, like a tube, they work fine. Kallenshaan Woods has the capability of doing a rotary laser engraving that is superb; fill it with what ever works for the client. There are others who have that capability but I've not utliized their services.
WB

JeremyLP

Yes, all the pens will be the same.

There are multiple colours, including white, so I picked transparent, and what should be white is now transparent and you can see the wood, its actually quite neat, but again, the decals would still cover 80% of the finished tube making my work pretty much pointless. Also, the format of the logo that I was sent was difficult to work with, as I have very little technological skills... that's why I am a hand tool woodworker (long live Galoots!!!). I have pretty much abandoned the decal idea and have told the client that as well. To me, what he is actually looking for he should be seeking professional pen manufacturers, not a one-of wood pen turner.

I am not too keen on the laser idea either, I don't know enough about it, I don't have enough time do all the research in the time required.

I am basically to the point that they need to start understanding that I am woodworker, not a custom manufacturing factory with all the tools and equipment needed to pump out product.

I should know how things turn (no pun intended) by the end of tomorrow.

have you thought about turning the wood short of final dimensions, apply the decal to a fairly straight substrate then casting it in clear alumilite?

I have not done this but I was trying to give you options. if it has never been done someone on here will know how to get this done.

good luck, let us know w hen you get them done and don't forget photos.

JeremyLP

Jim: I do my casting in PM. I did think about it, but I read somewhere that the reaction in the casting process destroys the decals. Also.. I simply don't have the time to cast that many pens.

Top Bottom