NOrfolk Island Pine hollow form

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

My first NIP hollow form came out with a wider opening than initially planned due to my eagerness to finish after rough hollowing. I had to take some cracks away but am happy with the final product. The grain and color are exceptional IMHO. Got the blank from Woodturningblanks4u.com.

Attachments

• NIP1 008.JPG
    NIP1 008.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 265
  • NIP1 004.JPG
    NIP1 004.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 287
  • NIP1 005.JPG
    NIP1 005.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 298
  • NIP1 010.JPG
    NIP1 010.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 250
  • NIP1 013.JPG
    NIP1 013.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 273
  • NIP1 009.JPG
    NIP1 009.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerH

Gorgeous.

Like Monty, I have a piece of NIP I have been waiting to turn. I've been building my pen inventory for the last month and half for an upcoming show, but seeing the beautiful work you did makes me want to go back to bowl turning.

Really beautiful. Thx for sharing.

robutacion

Yeah Glenn, me likes it...!:wink:

In fact, one of my preferred shapes for NIP turning, the 7 knots are exceptional and the "bluing" only adds to the good looks. Great finish also...!

Cheers
George

Glenn,
Those are fantastic... How is the NIP to turn... I have 3 logs about12 to 18" long each that I picked up from my local wood importer... they were in plastic to spalt for about 6 months and I just took them out to dry a little before I put them on the lathe... sure hope I do as well as you did.

It turns beautifully, soft enough to make hollowing out easier. Make sure you let is dry rough hollowed for a good period of time, I waited about a month...too soon. wait a few months oe soak it in denatured alcohol or whatever your preferred way of drying is.
Also, if you turn it thin (1/8" or less, check often for tear outs around the knots or use CA on them before you get too thin. I had one spot I had to fill, luckily I caught it before it caught me.
Glenn,
Those are fantastic... How is the NIP to turn... I have 3 logs about12 to 18" long each that I picked up from my local wood importer... they were in plastic to spalt for about 6 months and I just took them out to dry a little before I put them on the lathe... sure hope I do as well as you did.

pinelumber

NIP BOWL

Great bowl Glenn! Bring it to a BAW ot IAP meeting. I'd love to see it. What did you use for a finish looks shiny!

Dennis
Pine Lumber :bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

Knucklefish

Love these guys too

Great work. I also have bought blanks from them, but not a NIP. Thats my next order to be sure. Highly recommended these guys, they rock and very affordable too.
John

Top Bottom