Nib problem – is it me or the manufacturer? (Perfect Fit)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pauljas

With the help of several of you, I am now to the point of feeling pretty comfortable with the attention to detail required to successfully turn a Perfect fit pen kit. Most recently, I went to assemble the pen and when I went to test thetwist mechanism in the lower part of the kit, it would not click into place. Instead, it just drops back, asthough there is nothing to hold it in place.

Wanting to learn from my mistakes, I explored where I wentwrong by:
  • Measuring the lower half of the pen, compared to the brasstube: perfect match
  • Checking the assembly of the nib and twist holder: noproblems here, everything is nice and tight
  • Install different pen refills and twist mechanisms: sameresult, would not function
  • I removed the twist mechanism from a working, assembled pento see if it would operate differently and it had the same problem on the "problem"pen and other twist mechanisms worked fine on the "working" pen
  • The last thing I did was to remove the nib andinstalled a new nib and THE PEN OPERATED PERFECTLY!
I also looked at my daily writer at work, one of my first "working"Perfect Fit pens and found that I had likely left glue in the upper tube as itactually had the same problem but the extra friction from the glue was sufficientto keep it in place.

I purchased the kits from Bear Tooth Woods as I understand theysupport IAP and all Perfect Fits come from the same factory.

My questions for everyone:
  • Can anyone spot anerror on my part?I really would love toknow where I went wrong, or
  • Should I reach out to the seller and ask for areplacement?
  • Have you ever had this problem?
Thank you everyone! I am grateful to the help and support from all of you as I have learned this not so new hobby.

Also, if someone would be so kind as to send me a privatemessage on how to post pics, I would appreciate the help as I can't seem tofigure it out.

Paul

Mr Vic

From the info I would suspect it's the nib either not drilled deep enough or some other form of blockage.

pauljas

From the info I would suspect it's the nib either not drilled deep enough or some other form of blockage.

I was actually wondering the opposite as it seems to be drilled too deep, not allowing the spring enough tension to keep the mechanism in place

Top Bottom