Centerband

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike211

I was hoping to get some help with making my own center bands. I have poked around a bit and haven't found anything. A couple of you suggested making my own and I have read about people making there own. Can someone either point me in the right direction or help me out please and thank you!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
There are probably a lot of ways to skin this cat. The two approaches that I've used are:
1. Glue a piece of wood or other material that I want to use for the center band to either of the barrels & simply turn it as part of the barrel
2. Drill the center band material as needed (typically 7mm for a slimline), turn it between centers and part it down to size - basically creating a replacement center band to slip over the transmission.

Here's a good article from the library on slimline modifications. While there isn't a lot of detailed instruction on techniques, there are lots of good ideas in this article.
http://content.penturners.org/library/pens/slimline_modifications.pdf

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I was hoping to get some help with making my own center bands. I have poked around a bit and haven't found anything. A couple of you suggested making my own and I have read about people making there own. Can someone either point me in the right direction or help me out please and thank you!!

For what style pen?

EdGallop41

I used a broken twist mechanism (transmission) and slid it into a comfort center band and used it on a Longwood. Slimline bushings are not expensive but to get something unusual I guess I could turn a acrylic blank down on a 7mm tube and cut it any width I'd want. If you check with a jewelry maker they may make you some 7mm rings. A gold nugget would look nice on the right pen. The possibilities are plentiful.

Mike211

Thanks for the idea Ed, I happen to know a jewelry maker. I haven't seen him for years, I will have to try and track him down!!

Ross

I have turned center bands by gluing a scrap of brass center tube in a short blank of the material I want to use for the center band. I have used both matching material and contrasting material with success. I then turn the center band between 7mm bushings.

Top Bottom