New Tool and 1st Project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

I asked about a new tool and based on the recommendations from you fine folks I am now the proud owner of a drum sander. It took half the night to get it set up and then today I started playing with it a little bit. This is my first project(maple and SA Walnut) out of it and it appears I will be getting alot of use out of this little gem of a tool. I did learn that a brad nailer is the wrong way to assemble the parts. I am now guessing glue should have been my method. any advice? It was on sale at my local woodcraft. Thanks for the advice and thanks for looking. Comments and Critiques are always welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Uh oh...can-o-worms!!
If you are just using glue, then you need some kind of joint, other than a butt joint. A brad nailer should work fine, little colored putty in the holes and there ya go!

D.Oliver

Knowing what you were capable of before a drum sander, I can't wait to see what you make with this new tool.

firewhatfire

Lenny that is exactly the kind of info I was needing. Now I gotta whole new site to share my pen addiction with. Custom pens and boxes, maybe someday they will even match.

plantman

There's nothing like a new toy to get the creative juices flowing !! Why don't you make a simple jig for your table saw or router table to make finger joints ?? Also cutting your corners at 45s will give you a larger and better glue surface, and a seamless orner. When I make small boxs, I sometimes use my mini bisket jointer. This makes a very strong joint. Jim S

jttheclockman

Those did not look like brads, they looked like 10penny nails:biggrin: Just kidding. First congrads on a great new tool. Not sure how you are dimentioning your material but that maybe another concern down the line if you are going into box making.

A couple things. As you noticed you will need to tighten up on your joints and a good jig to cut them probably is in need. Next when making small boxes such as that it is not so much the stress put on it but you do want some glue surface and when making joints it is all about glue surface. There are a ton of ways to join 2 sides and a few were mentioned. I like to use splines. I use blind splines and in this case I would do decorative splines for sure. There are many devices out there than can really decorate a corner and create a beautiful looking spline or joint. If interested I can post a link. I showed a spline jig I use alot in another thread about making jigs. Making boxes especially small ones like that is another artform. Now you will never get your money back from the time you spent on it so don't look at it as a money maker and the more decorative you get the more time you put into it. But as a selling point as you mentioned matching to a certain pen can and will be a good selling vehicle towards a sale.

One other thing do not use brads. If you want a clamp sort of thing while the glue takes hold uses pins. They are headless and will not split those fragile ends and are so easily concealed. You have now added more to your to-do-list. Good luck and will look forward to seeing new things come out of that shop. By the way when you want to get into scrolling lets talk some more and really get those juices flowing. You can then combine all forms of woodworking.:biggrin:

jttheclockman

Here is just a sample of a decoritive spline I used before. If you use google you will find so many examples. This is actually going to be a pen display case when done. ( big words here are when done)

cornermiters.jpg

miterswithsplines.jpg

Here is a great tool to have for picture framing as well as box making.

mitertrimmer2.jpg

Last edited:

firewhatfire

Excited about learning all of this new info piling up in this post. It is all as new to me as pen turning was when I started. Looking forward to my next year in the sawdust business.

plantman

:bananen_smilies104:If you realy want to get into fancy joints, look into this site. mlcswoodworking.com or Fast Joint Precision Joinery System. I have this system and it makes very decorative and solid joints. Takes a little time to get the hang of it, but once you see what it can do, it's time well invested. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom