New Stopper....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gothycdesigns

gothycdesigns

So recently I have been playing around with a new material to turn. Made a couple of pens,
and looks pretty sharp...Well I tried it as bottle stopper......yep....Leather.

LeatherStopper.jpg

Closeup....
LeatherStopper2.jpg

Top...
LeatherStopper3.jpg

There are 11 pieces of 1/4" raw leather bound by thin CA and pressed in a bench vice for about an hour sometimes less. Just for the heck of it. Sanded with 100, 320, 400, 600 and a HUT friction polish. I wanted it too look natural still. And over time with use will gain some character from oil from the hands.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

That looks like oak tanned hide, is it? You could make it segmented by dying the discs with Fiebings or you could also tool the sides after the turning is completed.

gothycdesigns

Cindy ~ No its not oak tanned. its grade 3 raw, or X-tanned from Keystone leather. They are a major supplier for my company. We use it for the Leather Insoles in our boots we make. All of our boots are made from full grain leather. X-tanned from what I am told is treated to help with resistance to sweat from the foot. Its just before the leather is split to thickness and processing with dyes and other oils or silicone. As for dyeing them. I'm gonna get some hopefully this week. My concern is about using a CA finish on them after the dye, if it will change colors on me. Once the design is turned I may just let it sit for a a day or 2 before final sealing.

Karin ~ ThX, yeah I'm having fun with the leather turning. I have some ideas I am pondering.

Top Bottom