New Rikon lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MichaelD

I've got one of the original 70-100 non-VS. Team up with Rick Herrell for an upgraded tool rest and that looks like a nice lathe.

pesto126

any thoughts on price? Its not on the website yet and I can't find any info online about it... speed ranges would require a few belt changes between turning and finishing even with the VS from the looks of things?

lwalper

Reverse? --- and for threading in the drawbolt for the collet chuck and Jacobs chuck. I put large wingnuts on the end of the bolt and run the lathe (on low speed) backwards to thread them in.

That's a good looking lathe. I like the beefier tool rest.

Old Codger

I have both the Rikon 1220 VS and the Jet 1221VS and the big difference (in my mind...) is that the Jet has a reverse feature (always nice for sanding...) and larger/heavier bedways... Both are GREAT lathes, but the price, feature difference is difficult makes it difficult to select... I'm now looking at the larger VS Jet lathes just introduced to help me turn larger projects, but for a midi lathe...a real difficult choice! Good luck and let us know what you think about your selection to help other turners! Safe turning to you always!

Signguy

It is a Reeves drive. I was excited about trading up until I realized that. I'm guessing that in awhile we will see another model with the electronic VS come out. That's gonna be nice!

pesto126

compared to the Jet 1221VS - the only major thing I see different is the speed ranges... Jet has that nice upper speed that the lathe can be kept on 90% of the time..

Jet: Speed Range 60-900, 110-1800, 220-3600
Rikon: Speed Range 250-750, 550-1650, 1300-3850

of course, not sure how much that matters considering you can save $250 this month on one... thoughts?

lwalper

compared to the Jet 1221VS - the only major thing I see different is the speed ranges... Jet has that nice upper speed that the lathe can be kept on 90% of the time..

Jet: Speed Range 60-900, 110-1800, 220-3600
Rikon: Speed Range 250-750, 550-1650, 1300-3850

of course, not sure how much that matters considering you can save $250 this month on one... thoughts?

That's odd. I use the mid range almost exclusively. It seems that the high range doesn't have enough torque for drilling, or much else except for the high-speed light cut turning. The mid-range seems to be good for just about everything. I'll step it back for the occasional bowl and go to high for some acrylics. My mid-range goes up to almost 2000 RPM.

Dan Masshardt

That's odd. I use the mid range almost exclusively. It seems that the high range doesn't have enough torque for drilling, or much else except for the high-speed light cut turning. The mid-range seems to be good for just about everything. I'll step it back for the occasional bowl and go to high for some acrylics. My mid-range goes up to almost 2000 RPM.

I drill pen blanks on the high pulley every time Plenty of power

To drill stuff with a bigger forstner bit, I take the belt down though

Cmiles1985

Reeves drive scratches that one off the list. As for the speed ranges, I leave my Jet on the high speed range other than for bowls. I've never experienced a lack of torque with the exception of drilling something at less than 500 rpm.

Top Bottom